Cattle traders on Craigslist!

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
What are they thinking? Many of the listings there are market junk that they have picked up and are trying to sell to uninformed newbees as good cattle.
It is no secret that I am and will continue to be a trader but even I have some ethics. I make a few dollars on each trade or I turn them out to be marketed later. Don't really matter to me which.
I will not sell a sick calf or cow to anyone. Just been on craigslist and saw all the junk and had to vent.

Kenny I think you're more of a backgrounder than trader. We used to have what we called traders here, they bought cattle in one sale on Monday and put the same cattle plus some fill in a Thursday sale. That gave them time for some hay and salt water before they filled them. If that failed they brought the cattle home and tried to sell them to their neighbors. They all went broke, usually leaving the stockyards with a couple weeks cattle not paid for..

Larry

We call them jockeys, sometimes cattle jockeys, but jockeys none the less. They;re alwasy jockeying cattle aorund from barn to barn with maybe a stop off at some poor shmucks that thinks he's getting a deal.

I remember how hard it was to get started and just hate it when I see that shi% posted as good cattle trying to get someone to think it is a deal.
I bought 11 cows and 5 calves last night on a guys word. Never seen them. Had them delivered today to a friends place because he already has a sale for them as soon as we are sure they are ok. That is the way I like to trade. I might not even see them before they are gone but I will see my money and some profit (I hope).

I started by selling all my steers on CL, and ended up meeting some regular buyers, and have a great reputation for selling only top quality animals. I WON'T sell anything that even appears to have any problems, to anyone! I've also refused to sell to some "people", because of the myriad of stupid questions asked!

Had a lady come out off CL to look at 6 Holstein steers I had for sale. Drove up in a real nice Lexus, looked at them, whipped out a wad of cash, and needed them delivered. Next day buddy and I took them out to her "farm", she asked me, "What do they eat?" :roll:
As we're pulling down her drive, her 2 German Shepherds were racing up toward the steers on pasture.....I warned her about the dogs, she said she's "got it under control"...
Heard a few days later from a neighbor, the dogs ran all the steers into the fence that night and killed them.... :x
Now I'm pretty selective about where my stuff goes!

ozarkbulls":18elwooa said:
I started by selling all my steers on CL, and ended up meeting some regular buyers, and have a great reputation for selling only top quality animals. I WON'T sell anything that even appears to have any problems, to anyone! I've also refused to sell to some "people", because of the myriad of stupid questions asked!

Had a lady come out off CL to look at 6 Holstein steers I had for sale. Drove up in a real nice Lexus, looked at them, whipped out a wad of cash, and needed them delivered. Next day buddy and I took them out to her "farm", she asked me, "What do they eat?" :roll:
As we're pulling down her drive, her 2 German Shepherds were racing up toward the steers on pasture.....I warned her about the dogs, she said she's "got it under control"...
Heard a few days later from a neighbor, the dogs ran all the steers into the fence that night and killed them.... :x
You've sure had a lot more success then I have of of CL. I haven;t bought or sold anything. Lots of calls but every one is looking for bargains. I take that back, I sold an old broken up manure spreader for scrap prices, I was just to lazy to haul it to the recyclers. That was before they opened a steel recycler in Lebanon, brfore that I had to haul to springfield. I don;t DO springfield except for the Red Angus sale, farmfest and the gun show. 3 times a year is about 10 to many for my taste of the big city

dun":2to0s713 said:
ozarkbulls":2to0s713 said:

You've sure had a lot more success then I have of of CL. I haven;t bought or sold anything. Lots of calls but every one is looking for bargains. I take that back, I sold an old broken up manure spreader for scrap prices, I was just to lazy to haul it to the recyclers. That was before they opened a steel recycler in Lebanon, brfore that I had to haul to springfield. I don;t DO springfield except for the Red Angus sale, farmfest and the gun show. 3 times a year is about 10 to many for my taste of the big city

I agree

kenny thomas":8fthhyzl said:
What are they thinking? Many of the listings there are market junk that they have picked up and are trying to sell to uninformed newbees as good cattle.
It is no secret that I am and will continue to be a trader but even I have some ethics. I make a few dollars on each trade or I turn them out to be marketed later. Don't really matter to me which.
I will not sell a sick calf or cow to anyone. Just been on craigslist and saw all the junk and had to vent.

I check CL a lot. Not for cattle, just window shopping. Sold a couple bottle babies to a Lady that had a listing looking for some. Gave her a great deal just to get shed of them. They were nice calves. I guess there may be some good ones on there, but I see some pitiful excuses for Bulls listed.

fitz

fitz":25mskm72 said:
kenny thomas":25mskm72 said:

I check CL a lot. Not for cattle, just window shopping. Sold a couple bottle babies to a Lady that had a listing looking for some. Gave her a great deal just to get shed of them. They were nice calves. I guess there may be some good ones on there, but I see some pitiful excuses for Bulls listed.

fitz

Must be where my neighbor gets his bulls.

cfpinz":n33du9rq said:
fitz":n33du9rq said:
kenny thomas":n33du9rq said:

fitz

least he buys em,, mine raises his own,,, which ever reaches puberty first

ALACOWMAN":1w1c7n0y said:
cfpinz":1w1c7n0y said:
least he buys em,, mine raises his own,,, which ever reaches puberty first

When I called the neighbor last time to tell him I had his glorified steer in my barn, he informed me that he had raised this one and he was "a good strong black bull". Looked like a holstein somebody had spraypainted solid black, and a p#ss poor one at that.

I have found some decent deals on calves with craigslist....and a lot of duds too. It's just another place for the traders to market. I found a trader fellow a few months back on Craigslist, that is selling pretty decent calves for a good price. I will be using him again in the future. Craigslist is definately a buyer beware market.

buying cattle on CL isnt for greenhorns thats for sure.most all of the cattle thats listed are trader cattle.but you can find decent cattle on there as well.heck most cattle that go through the sale barns are trader cattle.

bigbull338 said:
buying cattle on CL isnt for greenhorns thats for sure.most all of the cattle thats listed are trader cattle.but you can find decent cattle on there as well.heck most cattle that go through the sale barns are trader cattle.[/quote]

That sure is a lot of traders. I will not say that there is never a trade calf comes through our market but it is very rare. And yes I do see the tickets and know the traders so that is not a BS statement. We strongly discourage it. :mad:

C.L. sale barn, newspaper, word of mouth, all are a crap shoot and a buyers beware situation, so to say that one is worse than the other is a bunch of poo :banana:
I have sold and bought from all of the above, including A.I. services

I think it's a very good way to help eguk8 those with no knowledge of what they are doing. Nothin wrong with divin right in just make sure the pool has water first. Too many people think someone is making big money in agriculture and they will cut out the middle man. Too many people reading books that tell them they can support there family and pay for a place off of nitch markets, all they have to do is buy another how to book and buy a place. Five "organic" steer's, to many chickens and a dairy cow arn't gonna buy a 500,000.00 place and support your wife and kids. Even if you all live in the same house; and leasing the hay ground; that you no absoulutly nothing about; wont make you rich either. :roll:

our sale barns dont disscourage cattle traders at all because the 1s that i used to run with bought an sold $50,000 in cattle week in an week out.an when you have 3 or 4 guys doing that its alot of commisson for the salebarns.i used to spot trader cattle a mile off because i know what to look for.

I bought 1 herd and 2 smaller bunches of cattle off Craig's List 2 years ago. They were all honest cattle and they have done great, still have them all. Since then, there are alot more cattle listed than before, but seems like they are either junk, jockeys, or priced way too high to consider. There are alot of people who plan to take their cattle to the sale barn, but put them on CL at a crazy high price, just to see if they can get a sucker to bite, before they take them to the auction. I have never advertised on CL, because I do not want people I do not know coming to the farm, when they might be just there to look to see what they can come back and steal, later. I believe CL, the newspaper, and the sale barn have all got their share of honest and dishonest sellers.

Some years back I put a hay for sale posting on CL. Everyone wanted to come out and "look". They all tried to jargon prices. I drove off on many of them with the gate locked. Some called me back later begging after they had tried to jargon. It felt really good telling them that everything that was for sale had already been sold.

It would probably be different if I didn't have to drive 23 miles one way to show the hay to those who want to look. Or to drive that far to sell a couple of bales.

I was buying day old dairy calves and getting them started last year. I would advertise them as soon as I got home from the sale. I also bought a lot off farms. I didn't sell any with scours until I cleared it up. I was upfront, but people would post on craigslist I was unethical. I considered it back grounding. I consider it ethical. Many people want to go to work instead of the sale and want you to take all of the risk and then pay the lowest sale barn prices. A day old small Jersey bull and #100 holstein bull cost a $100 difference. Most people were very happy having this service. I didn't really make any money untill I started flipping young heifers. I just like nursing the sick babies to health. I want to do a lot more calf raising in the future. Still wish I could find out the name of the person on craigslist that would anonymously slander me. I am willing to bet he had to be related to Somn

Latest posts