Cattle Thieves

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":xc1t6ts4 said:
I wondered too, if they were buying cattle at one facility, using bad checks, then taking the same cattle to another barn a week later and selling them for that barn's good paper?
That may be why it took so long to arrest them..investigators wanted the whole enchilada.
Bad checks (presumably) and then selling 'stolen' cattle.
It would take some time to track down where each animal was 'bought' and sold at...connecting the dots.

(the news articles didn't indicate exactly how it all took place, or whether the family still had possession of any (or all) of the animals or not.)
Regardless, it does appear some kind of fraud took place.
I looked for it to and that is about what I could deduce. Buy cattle at one barn and take them to another a day or two later.

sstterry":3tzyyt5e said:
greybeard":3tzyyt5e said:
I wondered too, if they were buying cattle at one facility, using bad checks, then taking the same cattle to another barn a week later and selling them for that barn's good paper?
That may be why it took so long to arrest them..investigators wanted the whole enchilada.
It would take some time to track down where each animal was 'bought' and sold at...connecting the dots.

(the news articles didn't indicate exactly how it all took place, or whether the family still had possession of any (or all) of the animals or not.)
I looked for it to and that is about what I could deduce. Buy cattle at one barn and take them to another a day or two later.

Not a whole lot wrong with that as long as ya actually pay for them.
(They may have started off honest with good intentions, got in upside down with a bunch that sold poorly and tried to peter/paul their way out of it with the next bunch..or 2 or 3...)
It wouldn't be the 1st time it happened.

greybeard":3569acba said:
sstterry":3569acba said:
greybeard":3569acba said:

(They may have started off honest with good intentions, got in upside down with a bunch that sold poorly and tried to peter/paul their way out of it with the next bunch..or 2 or 3...)

But doing that to the tune of $1million dollars? They must be pretty bad at judging cattle :shock:

sstterry":30hg4vy2 said:
greybeard":30hg4vy2 said:
sstterry":30hg4vy2 said:

But doing that to the tune of $1million dollars? They must be pretty bad at judging cattle :shock:

I got a neighbor that probably taught em. I have a 6 strand barb wire fence, with 3 strands of hot between us. If I ever see his bull in my pasture he will immediately catch a 150 grain from a .308

greybeard":88nsurje said:
bird dog":88nsurje said:
Is this correct, only 8?

<Louisiana has eight public livestock markets where producers can sell their livestock. Investigators say four of the eight livestock markets were targeted by the Thompsons.>
Maybe..
Miller Livestock in DeQuincy. (this one may be closed)
Kinder Livestock in Kinder La.
Red River Livestock in Coushatta La.
Dominiques in Opelousas La.
Dominiques in Baton Rouge La.
Mansura Livestock Barn in Mansura La.--I think the actual name is Avoyelles
Delhi Livestock Auction INC in Delhi La.
Amite Livestock Sales in Amite City La.
Fairchild Sales Inc in Kentwood La.
H & H Stockyard LLC in Thibideaux La.

Most are in South and SW La...there are none in North La?
Only 8 operating:
Dequincy Livestock in Dequincy, LA (under new management
Kinder Livestock in Kinder, LA (same man owns Mansura)
Mansura Livestock in Mansura LA
Dominiques in Opelousas La.
Dominiques in Baton Rouge La.
Red River Livestock in Coushatta La.
Delhi Livestock Auction INC in Delhi La.
Amite Livestock Sales in Amite City La. (Sale on Tuesday and Saturday. The Saturday sale was the Kentwood sale but they closed it and moved it to their Amite barn).

The Thompsons bought cattle and issued bad checks to pay the barns. They could make a market high, but if you don't pay for them what good is it. They had a nephew get to a couple of barns here in East Texas.

$1 million worth and, it happened over only about a 2month period.
"Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry Brand Commission said the thefts happened between August and October last year"

Sounds like a hot check crime to me as well.

STILWELL, Okla. — Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association (TSCRA) Special Ranger John Cummings is seeking information after 24 head of cattle were stolen from the Stilwell Livestock Auction. Operation Cow Thief, an anti-theft initiative led by TSCRA is offering cash reward of up to $1,00..., And I can't get the link to load ,maybe someone can .

Latest posts