Cattle Super Bug!

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd like to see 'em do some sampling downwind of a big metropolitan human hospital - or a large college or professional football stadium - and see what they find there...

These both seem more like antibiotics bashing articles, or trying to fuel the fire. Notice they never said once what this super duper bacteria was? For all we know is it could be harmless, and always has been resistant.

sim.-ang.king":gcwzgql2 said:
These both seem more like antibiotics bashing articles, or trying to fuel the fire. Notice they never said once what this super duper bacteria was? For all we know is it could be harmless, and always has been resistant.

Not harmless and wasn't always resistant. Note: they weren't looking at one single bacteria, but rather trying to ascertain whether and to what extent bacteria from large feedlots was airborne. Nonetheless, the scientific study itself (if not the mass media articles) did identify some of the bacteria of concern: "Within these PM-associated bacterial communities were several genera that contain sub-taxa known to be infectious in humans such as Corynebacterium (present in 90% of all samples including 100% of downwind and 80% of upwind samples), Leptospira, Clostridia, Bacteroides, and Staphylococcus."

For the full study: http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-content/upl ... 5.acco.pdf

(PM=particulate matter in the above quote).

boondocks":3n3fbcof said:
sim.-ang.king":3n3fbcof said:

Not harmless and wasn't always resistant. Note: they weren't looking at one single bacteria, but rather trying to ascertain whether and to what extent bacteria from large feedlots was airborne. Nonetheless, the scientific study itself (if not the mass media articles) did identify some of the bacteria of concern: "Within these PM-associated bacterial communities were several genera that contain sub-taxa known to be infectious in humans such as Corynebacterium (present in 90% of all samples including 100% of downwind and 80% of upwind samples), Leptospira, Clostridia, Bacteroides, and Staphylococcus."

For the full study: http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-content/upl ... 5.acco.pdf

(PM=particulate matter in the above quote).

The actual study did say, but the articles never did say. Not much help if they say the sky is falling, but don't tell what from.

You can make the numbers look and point any direction. Some folks will do anything to insure that the study is successful. Look no further than global warming, oh I forgot climate change. I'm still waiting for the hole in the Ozone to affect the earth. Remember freon is bad.

highgrit":z1qhrd4z said:
You can make the numbers look and point any direction. Some folks will do anything to insure that the study is successful. Look no further than global warming, oh I forgot climate change. I'm still waiting for the hole in the Ozone to affect the earth. Remember freon is bad.

I'm curious--Who is it, in this instance, that is cooking the books, in your opinion? (I assume you read or at least skimmed the study, based on your visceral reaction?).

Don't you love those kind of article???

Notice that the 2nd reference does mention that MRSA jumped from humans to cattle but then quickly changes the subject...

One should also note that MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), CRE (Carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae), VRE (Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus) are present in North American hospitals, but methicillin, carbapenem and vancomycin are not used in North American agriculture. No one ever mentions that fact...

That being said, it does not exonerate us from doing our part. We should not be using later generation antibiotics (more potent anti-microbials) as 1st line drugs or as preventatives. If we use antibiotics responsibly, hopefully the human medical community will start looking in the mirror.

I didn't read it all. That Dr. with the long weird name kind of ruined my reading. I don't use antibiotics as a growth hormone. So anything he said after that was irrelevant in my pea brain.

When one reads what used to be called yellow journalism, the most important thing to do, is note how many times the following words occur in the "scientific" article:
may
tend
might
think
indicate
can (instead of "do")
estimates (estimated)
suspect
could
perhaps
believe
suggest

highgrit":2f503m7q said:
I didn't read it all. That Dr. with the long weird name kind of ruined my reading. I don't use antibiotics as a growth hormone. So anything he said after that was irrelevant in my pea brain.

Ok, now I'm really confused. Here's the list of authors:
Andrew D. McEachran
Brett R. Blackwell
J Delton Hanson
Kimberly J. Wooten
Gregory D. Mayer
Stephen B. Cox
and
Philip N. Smith

We looking at the same thing? Bunch of Texas Tech scientists?

greybeard":2gg9gmon said:
When one reads what used to be called yellow journalism, the most important thing to do, is note how many times the following words occur in the "scientific" article:
may
tend
might
think
indicate
can (instead of "do")
estimates (estimated)
suspect
could
perhaps
believe
suggest
Are you applying that test to the mass media articles, or to the study itself? Just curious what you're trying to get at there...

Both. The big scary boogeyman Goreism words. May, can, might.
I MIGHT, get hit by an asteroid in my bed tonight. I MAY die from it, and there is significant potential that it will kill my wife as well, and who knows what microscpic life form can be riding on that asteroid?

Conclusion
In conclusion, PM generated at beef cattle feedyards contains distinct communities of bacteria,
antibiotics, and antibiotic resistance gene sequences. Thus there is significant potential for
widespread distribution of antibiotics, bacteria, and genetic material that encodes antibiotic
resistance via airborne PM as a result of the large mass of fine particles released daily from beef
cattle feedyards in the Central Plains of the United States. Dispersal of PM is facilitated by
significant wind energy potentials and frequent wind events in this region. It follows that feedlot
derived microbes, including those possessing antibiotic resistance, can be transported to new
locations where they may occupy new niches (Griffin 2007).

Drzr":3jsxcm89 said:
http://www.kltv.com/story/28654796/airborne-super-bug-could-spread-to-east-texas-cattle-humans
The 7th paragraph Boondocks, The Dr. Sirini Kamphampati who's probably the enemy in more ways than one.

Latest posts