Cattle software

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
What kind of software do you use to track your cattle weight, ADG, health treatment, breeding, etc ??
We been using Cattlemax now for a few years.
Program is really good and not too expensive. (Based on number of head)
I guess the most important thing is the customer support....they are great and usually same day, if not hours they respond.
Pretty complicated program, but well worth it once you get used to it. Can't think of anything I can't track with it. From financial, machinery maintenance, invoicing, cattle health, heats ... everything you need.
When our vet visits she can access all the cattle data, see health treatments, weights ...even my notes etc....she loves it.
Don't get me wrong...it takes a lot of data entry to start. But we believe it's well worth it.

Then that would make me a dinosaur that drives a piece of shyt because I just use Excel spreadsheets.😁
I had been out of ranching for many years. Seems like everyday I'm amazed that what new technology has done for ranchers,,, most of it good.
When I was young working on the ranch we had clipboards with paper that usually had poop on it and look like a third grader had written it.
At first I was very intimidated but as soon as I seen how it could help us I got on board.

I like Cattlemax. I don't use a lot of the bells and whistles I probably should with it, but it's nice to be able to update records in the field on my phone before I forget them, or to be able to access and give someone details on an animal they might be looking at. I like that it's web-based so I can access it from multiple devices if needed, and don't have to worry about losing them if my computer died or losing a physical copy like I used to keep in my notebook.

I like Cattlemax. I don't use a lot of the bells and whistles I probably should with it, but it's nice to be able to update records in the field on my phone before I forget them, or to be able to access and give someone details on an animal they might be looking at. I like that it's web-based so I can access it from multiple devices if needed, and don't have to worry about losing them if my computer died or losing a physical copy like I used to keep in my notebook.
The one downside that I have found is that if you do not have internet connection or you can't get 4G in remote areas then you're screwed.
I've been asking them for years to make it where you can go ahead and enter data and as soon as you get a connection it will update but so far it hasn't happened.

Are you using electronic tags with the software? LF? UHF? Anyone program your own custom tag?

The only records I've ever kept were just paper. I really don't like messing with tech. This phone and a PS are the only two high tech devices I own. Wife likes computers, I pay for them, but I won't use one unless there's money in it.

I throw all my receipts in a box. At the end of the year, I sort them by date, enter them into excel and take them to my accountant.

I'll look into cattlemax.

Not sure it is available outside Kentucky. But UK has a new program x10d i believe went to a meeting about it. We plan on getting everything entered into it before calving starts in march. It's free

Not sure it is available outside Kentucky. But UK has a new program x10d i believe went to a meeting about it. We plan on getting everything entered into it before calving starts in march. It's free
X10D.org
Free if you have a promo code, otherwise $20/year. Appears to be available for residents of Kentucky (select UK) and Tennessee (select UT).
UK = University of Kentucky
UT = University of Tennessee
Do they plan to offer this to the entire US?

The one downside that I have found is that if you do not have internet connection or you can't get 4G in remote areas then you're screwed.
I've been asking them for years to make it where you can go ahead and enter data and as soon as you get a connection it will update but so far it hasn't happened.
If we occasionally find ourselves without internet, we we jot it down in "notes" app then move it over to cattlemax when we have service.

What kind of software do you use to track your cattle weight, ADG, health treatment, breeding, etc ??
We been using Cattlemax now for a few years.
Program is really good and not too expensive. (Based on number of head)
I guess the most important thing is the customer support....they are great and usually same day, if not hours they respond.
Pretty complicated program, but well worth it once you get used to it. Can't think of anything I can't track with it. From financial, machinery maintenance, invoicing, cattle health, heats ... everything you need.
When our vet visits she can access all the cattle data, see health treatments, weights ...even my notes etc....she loves it.
Don't get me wrong...it takes a lot of data entry to start. But we believe it's well worth it.
I've appreciated that in addition to all the cattle records, births, and vet stuff; we have all equipment listed, vin's, maintenance records, filter and part numbers, service reminders, track rainfall, pasture rotation. Etc. lots of extra things you can keep up with and/track in one place