Management Software

Help Support CattleToday:

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
What are you using for your cattle management software?
Something to keep track of your cattle inventory and allocate expenses to them, maintain calving, weaning and breeding records.
A plus would be to calculate inbreeding coefficients and projected EPDs

I use Cattlemax. I finally switched over to the hosted vesrsion. It's nice having it on my phone for quick reference or to update new calving or breeding when it happens before I forget to make note of it. I probably don't use a lot of the bells and whistles it has, but it works good for me.

We use cattlemax as well. Can track equipment, pastures, rainfall, births etc. We enter expenses and at end of year it prints out a page of income and expenses that exactly what our tax lady said makes their life easy.

We use an app called Calfbook. It keeps track of what I used to in my little pocket notebook plus more. It is pretty basic and there are a couple of things about it I'd like to change but it is very handy. Wife can enter info on her device and once synced it shows up on my device.
And it costs about $25 per year.

With Cattlemax is everything a manual entry or is it capable of input from a digital scale or EID reader to speed up the data entry process?

So far I've used the free trial version of Ranchr, but it seem that Cattlemax is the clear favorite from those that responded.
Thanks I'll look into it.

From another post I know that @Chevy likes to use day planners, but I think she uses it to keep track of how many deer she can hit with her Chevy truck. 🦌🛻
Lol. I also use one of the free calanders the land bank gives away to keep up with calving dates. Makes things fast and easy.

I use a $2 notebook and my phone. Had the notebook about 10 yrs now and the phone for 6. Might be time to upgrade?
You're way more sophisticated than me. I buy the 3 pack of Junior Legal Pads, 5 pack of Pilot gel pens and keep them in the Polaris. I'll then transfer all my notes to an Excel spreadsheet. My phone? I dunno, 5-6 years? First "smart" phone (droid) and it still works fine.

My wife and I were just looking into Cattlemax just to see if it offered anything we thought we would really like that we don't currently have on Calfbook. But it appears you have to have an internet connection to even open the program so that is a show stopper for me. Am I missing something?

Try Ranchmanager Open.
No limit on animals. I think its a voluntary Pricing system. so you decide what you pay.

Its PC and mac and iphone only at the moment, but the developer has said a bunch of updates are planned along with a version for android phone.

My wife and I were just looking into Cattlemax just to see if it offered anything we thought we would really like that we don't currently have on Calfbook. But it appears you have to have an internet connection to even open the program so that is a show stopper for me. Am I missing something?
Nope you got it. When Cattlemax first came out it was a CD that you installed on your pc. I loved it. As technology advanced they quit supporting the old program and you had to upgrade to an internet only program, at a much higher price tag I might add.

We took the leap and had internet installed at the new place. The long term goal is to have a scale, E id's, and an office in the barn where the working facilities are. Then I'll probably break down and get Cattlemax again.