Cattle Scales

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I would like to put in set of single animal scales in our barn and have been doing some looking here lately. Just wondering if anyone on here had opinions on types/brands of scales? I like the looks of the Gallaghers personally. Also can't decide whether to put the bars under the squeeze chute or make a platform behind it and keep it portable.

We have an old fashion balance beam "Paul's Scales" under our work chute. If you would ever need to set it up someplace else, this would not be handy. But if you have it seperate from the chute, that's two times you have to "manage" the cow. We have a bar with "inches" marked on it. When the cattle come thru the chute, we get weight & height & vaccinated all at the same time.

Jeanne-Thanks for the response. Your set up seems a lot simpler than handling them twice. Do you feel this makes your chute less stable and more prone to ratteling? Mine is on a concrete pad and bolted to two railroad ties at the back, kind of like it being solid and quiet.

We too have the old Paul's scales; they've been great now for almost 30 years! No problems at all. Since we only weigh calves at weaning we have a separate alley coming off the sweep tub for scales. Saves wear and tear on the scales.

I've tried to buy a couple sets of Paul scales but every auction I go to they bring close to a thousand dollars. I'd rather put a little bit with that and get a set of digital ones.

We do not have ours bolted down, and yes, if they come in running & I shut the headgate, they can move it forward a little - doesn't happen often - but can.
Biggest set back that I can see having our scales underneath, is the fact that the cows have to step up about 6 inches. I thought that would be a major problem, but has never seemed to make a difference. But, like I said, ours are the old balance beam type. Yours wouldn't be very high.

I have a set of digital scales that a bought off of ebay they seem to weigh accurately but I have a problem with them being under my squeeze shoot I can't keep it still. The load bars are 40" wide and that is the exact width of my shoot. If the cattle shake the shoot very much it wants to slide off of the load bars. I am thinking about getting 2 pieces of channel iron and welding it to the bottom of my shoot to keep it from moving. The scales where priced right a little less than seven hundred for two load bars and a digital monitor.

LaneFarms-Those scales were priced right! Most monitors that I've looked at start around that price.

Howdy,

I have a seperate powder river scale cage with Tru-Test HD1010 heavy duty load bars, which sits right before the chute with preg check area. Tru-Test model 700 digital scale.

I have scene the load bars under chutes, its not very pretty because of the CATCH-THAT-COW headgate slam. That forward momentum on the chute and load bars is very rough.

Overall scale prices seem really high today. But, if you need weights, it sure beats loading them and weighing somewhere, and coming home.

Have gallaghers heavy duty load bars and digital read out with W W's largest chute bolted to them and have never had any problems. Great working set up. Oh also have everything bolted down to a concrete slab. No problem with any motion weighing 1250 to 2500 lb animals.

After doing the same research we just ordered a Priefert scale with the Tru-Test load bars. It came with the option of a battery powered unit which is handy if you won't be weighing them each & every time they come through , or if you don't have power at the chute without running a power cord. We also saw a unit at the NFR by Digi-Star that was very nice & quite affordable, however they are located in the midwest & couldn't get one to us here on the west coast. Their price was $1480 for the load bars , aluminum platform & digital unit. The Priefert was about $2000 but no shipping.
Good Luck

We've been investigating the "Massload Technologies" load bars & accessories from that firm in Canada. Seem to have very reasonable prices, FOB Destination.

Had also been wondering about the anchoring system (concrete pad, concrete perimeter footing, "crossties" to support). Also, about the best containment area. We have a "Medina Hinge" set-up for our Longhorns, but not sure if that would work in conjunction with the load bars, etc.

Would it be best to route cattle through a rectangular "special cage" with the load bar system & wooden platform for them to stand on???

Bill I have not bought a set of scales yet but I always thought I would just rig them up in my alley behind the round tub. Just in front of the working chute if you know what i mean.
These folks sent me some interesting information on scales, they are analog and not near as pricey as the Gallagher. Granted Gallagher would be the nicest but I don't plan to use them that often.

http://www.eliasscales.com/index.html

bif

Latest posts