Cattle Rustling

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif

Reaction score
anybody in Missouri heard about this ?
Dun?

During the past year, thieves have stolen hundreds of cattle in 29 Missouri counties — $500,000 worth of cattle in at least 82 incidents, according to the Kansas City Star.

It's a trend that has become all too common. Stolen cattle are being reported at an increasing rate across the country, said Gregg Doud, National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) chief economist. Doud and other industry representatives are attributing the thefts to the steady rise in cattle prices, a 50% increase during the past five years.

According to the article, Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt has created a task force to combat a string of cattle thefts across southwest and central Missouri. Blunt has directed law enforcement agencies, agriculture departments and citizens to work together to catch cattle rustlers. The state's department of agriculture is working with auction barns to identify stolen cattle, and Blunt has reported his intentions to increase the penalty for livestock theft from a Class D felony to a Class C felony. The distinction would raise the potential prison sentence from four to seven years, according to the article. Blunt has also asked citizens to pay attention to unrecognized trucks and trailers and to report any nighttime loading. Citizens can call 1-866-362-6422 to report suspicious activity, the article noted.

Last Thursday a cattle rustler was arrested at West Auction. Had brought cows in earlier. Deputy Sheriff was waiting when he came back to pickup check.

TSCRA does a good job of tracking them down in TX & OK.

Happy trails to all

Brock

There has been xtra activity the last 6 months or so.

There has been alot of rustling going on south and west of Springfield, Mo. One man that I know lost 50 big calves one night. They went in and got up his cattle and sorted the big calves and took them. Another lost 30 big steers. There have been many hundred stolen in this area. They think the rustlers are using airplanes to spot the cattle in out of the way places and then going in with trailers and panels and using dogs to get the cattle up quietly. As many cattle as are disappearing, everyone figures there is a salesbarn connection somewhere for these cattle to totally disappear they way they are. In each area, cattlemen are taking turns driving the back roads all night long. People burning hay and stealing cattle are meaning alot of sleepless nights for alot of good people. There has been no progress made by any law enforcement in solving the burnings and theft.

Some day soon, some of those theives will make a mistake...I imagine there will be one heck of a 'sheet party' for them.

I know that Honey and I have one planned. Last fall someone walked into our shed (substitue old rickety original homestead for shed) and walked off with my set of 4 Blizzak snow tires.

To add insult to injury, about three weeks later they hit us again and made off with Honey's new (only six months old Husqvarna powersaw). That one really burnt us, as he'd being putting up firewood and trimming planks when building corrals with an old Husky that was around since Christ was a cowboy.

Finally broke down and bought a new one, and jiffy presto, gone.

Take care and happy hunting on those stickfingered lowlifes.

Lots of rustling going around in my area as well. Just last week a guy in Needville (about 5 miles down the road) was featured in a story in the Houston Chronicle. Somebody rustled his bull, 14 cows and 11 calves during the night from one of his rental places. He's got a pretty distintive brand on the bull & cows but the calves were not branded. Sad part is that most likely the rustling here and in other parts of the country is being done by a$$holes that have a farm & ranch background and sometimes it's an "inside job". Sure would be tempting to apply some frontier justice to somebody actually caught in the act.

I'm not sure if they've caught the guys yet, but I think the authorities have figured out who rustled some cattle about 10 miles southwest of us. This farmer got robbed twice, almost a yr to the day apart. These rustlers were obviously local, cuz they'd wait for the farmer to wean his calves and have them in the corrall next to his barn and the road. Then when they new he'd be out for the evening they came in and took the calves. The first time they took a couple of corrall panels too, and the second time, they had the cajones to return the stolen panels as they stole some more calves!! :mad: :mad:

Texas PaPaw":so2jat49 said:
Last Thursday a cattle rustler was arrested at West Auction. Had brought cows in earlier. Deputy Sheriff was waiting when he came back to pickup check.

TSCRA does a good job of tracking them down in TX & OK.

Happy trails to all

Brock

That's too close too home for me. We're only about 25 miles from West. I'll be up there Saturday at the TLBA sale. Glad they caught the rustler. Do you know where they stole the cattle from?

They've carried a story about the rustling on our local TV station (kfvs12) a couple of times, but have said it was in Southwest Mo. To my knowledge nothing like that has happened in this area. I hope it don't come over on this side.

Latest posts