Cattle ranching near Burns OR

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
This is a repost from the begginers board just in case it was missed over there-
Well, I make this post somewhat sheepishly as over the months I have been seeking information regarding central Texas as I have been looking at relocating there. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in that effort and have turned by attention to the prospect of securing acreage in Harney county Or., east of Burns (looking around the area of Malheur lake. Would like comments from folks in that area on the idea of running a dozen or two stockers during the growing season and then sending to market in early fall. Looking at dry land ranching utilizing crested wheat and Kochia as my stocker gain source. I would be traveling over from Salem once or twice a month during the season after getting the new crop of cattle settled. Would like to hear any comments regarding my plan and anything you can share about the area cattle business (where to buy/sell stock, supplies etc) thnx bman

How long is the growing season in Oregon . Is your second home in Florida ? Im not sure I could handle th winters .

john250":2vvy6oef said:
TexasBred":2vvy6oef said:
Sorry you couldn't find what you wanted here in Central Texas. You would have enjoyed it.

Except for the quaint welcoming custom of burning the wagon train.
Of course we do. Otherwise noone would ever have settled in places like Wink, Texas ;-)

I've been through Burns/Hines quite a few times. Traveled south from Burns to the area your talking about a couple of times, not a area you want to break down in. Lots of open range and big cattle outfits, along with a huge wildlife refuge and wild horse population (protected).

Do you live in Salem now?

Your best bet is to travel over there and talk to some of the ranchers over there, the only one I ever met was one of the ladies that own White Cattle Co. I bought a heifer from her a few years back and can't recall her name, maybe because the heifer isn't that old and is on the top of my cull list.

Alan

Yep live in the valley now, spent time over around the refuge and down around Fields during the fall hunting seasons and took a couple of vacations in the spring staying at FG and Diamond. Love the area, just wish it wasn't a 6 hour drive. I guess I'm looking for some inspiration to commit to the drive. I cant say I would want to live over yonder year round as the winters can be somewhat cold, the wife says "no way" on that idea anyhow.

If u are only thinking of a couple dozen sckers... don't. It has like the third shoetest growing season in the country. Stocking rate too low and distance too far. My two centa.

I was wondering about a couple dozen stockers in country where ranches are 100,000 acres to run 300 momma cows. The other way would be to run them on irrigated pasture over there but that would require more regular trips. I have a friend with a ranch north of Burns a ways. I have gone over and worked for him on occasions in the past. It is not the kind of country I would think of to run cattle like you are talking of.

chukar":d6v3nsf4 said:
If u are only thinking of a couple dozen sckers... don't. It has like the third shoetest growing season in the country. Stocking rate too low and distance too far. My two centa.

If Burns is in the High Desert region, the growing season is about 90 days for crops. :2cents:

Well how about this; Siberian wheat April thru June and Kochia July thru September- a six month stocker program. Start early April and send em to auction end of September. Hunt chukar and pheasant October, big game November and head to Peoria Arizona late November. Stay till the end of MLB spring training and head back to Burns end of March and do it over again.

bman4523":1475dld6 said:
Well how about this; Siberian wheat April thru June and Kochia July thru September- a six month stocker program. Start early April and send em to auction end of September. Hunt chukar and pheasant October, big game November and head to Peoria Arizona late November. Stay till the end of MLB spring training and head back to Burns end of March and do it over again.
Am not sure about the rest of it, but winter in AZ sounds pretty good!

Dang it Kathie, I was hoping you'd lend some inspiration to the Oregon side of my plan. The AZ half is just to appease my wife! Although I do love MLB. I am a little surprised by some of the negativity I'm getting from Harney residents. When I talked to the local extension agent about this some time back he thought it was a credible plan. The cattle part that is.

Just a couple of folks and a lengthy conversation with the extension guy. May head over soon and do some more looking and research. :)

Latest posts