cattle racks for truck

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
i am in ky and looking for racks for a pick up truck. to haul livestock anybody know where to find them and about how much should they cost

I haven't seen a new one for a long time. I bought mine at an auction about 20 years ago for 25.00. It's a fold down wooden one. It takes a few minutes to put on, but I prefer it to the slide in type. The last slide in I saw sell was a couple years ago. It brought about 75 bucks and it was in good shape.

We have one for some reason. I used to corral my dogs and bottle calf with it. That's when I used to hog tie the dog to my Little Tikes play house.

I can't remember when I last saw a pickup with cattle bodies on it. Years ago, you would see someone moving a cow or a calf or two in an old pick up. I still have an old set made of pipe and expanded metal but I have no idea what module of pick up they fit. They are designed to fit in the holes in the rails of the body. I have them placed around a water trough to prevent erosion but they are all still there. Doors and all.

Still see quite a few of them around here. I'd hate to know how many head of cattle my father/grandpas moved on half-ton pickups with racks and a 300 six. One of my most vivid memories was one time when we were taking a load of calves to the market, Dad stopped at the end of our road for some reason and while he was standing beside the truck a calf gave him a green squirt that covered him head to toe. I don't know which he was madder at, the calf or me for laughing so hard.

cfpinz

If you're down near Casey County, Ky - one of the gate companies will probably make you a set for around $300 or so. Put an ad in a local trader type paper and you'll probably get several calls.

Hello Trin

Make a trip to SW Missouri and you can find the slide in kind for less than $20.

Every farm around here has at least 1 set that hasn't been used in 10 years. (I have 2 sets laying around)

The area is crawlin with them and they will not bring anything at auction or private sale.

Dub

I still use my cattle rack all the time for hauling cattle to the butcher and occasionally for picking up calves. I actually hauled a 1700 lb bull all the way back from Prince Albert, Sk to where I live in Southern Manitoba (about 500 miles) with one a few years ago. Way cheaper than hauling a trailer. Mine is a good solid steel one. Cost me $80 at auction and was well worth the money.

:D I also am looking for some for my Chevy Silverado Extended Cab. Anyone in Arizona know where I can find some?

Nobody here uses pickup stock racks or old straight trucks to haul livestock anymore. So much easier to just hook on to the trailer and go, and you don't need a loading chute. Most often old steel stock racks sell for $50 or less at farm aucitons. Gave mine to a neighbor who makes panels and gates out of them for his sheep :idea:

I know this is an old thread, but it brings back tons of old childhood memories. Not sure how many people would raise cattle, if they had to go back to cattle racks?

I, personally, know 2 guys who still use cattle racks. One has an old Ford, the other has an old Chevy pick-up. They use them when they only need to haul a couple cows, or a few calves.

We have a rack for a 12' bed 1 ton, works alright with that, you can get a decent number in there.

Trailers are much easier though, even though my rack is a slide-on for my flatdeck trailer, it works well.

I find it funny that this thread is 10 years old, and 10 years ago everyone was saying cattle racks weren't used in 10 years.. it's pretty true.

The one benefit to racks is you don't need to insure another piece of equipment

Bigfoot":2sr0e6df said:
I know this is an old thread, but it brings back tons of old childhood memories. Not sure how many people would raise cattle, if they had to go back to cattle racks?

My childhood memories don't involve pickup stock racks so much, as folding the sides of the combination box on the 14' truck box up and down. I wasn't big enough to do it alone so Dad provided the muscle while I installed the hardware :oops:

The rack never stayed up for long, because it had to be folded down to park the truck back in the shed again. This was in the early-mid '70s.

On calf sale day the professionals would show up with their "big" straight cabover trucks and pups. Don't remember how many they could get on those. Times have sure changed. Nowdays almost every trucker has a triple axle pot and hauls 100+ calves easily.

Nesikep":b2p3bqwn said:
We have a rack for a 12' bed 1 ton, works alright with that, you can get a decent number in there.

Trailers are much easier though, even though my rack is a slide-on for my flatdeck trailer, it works well.

I find it funny that this thread is 10 years old, and 10 years ago everyone was saying cattle racks weren't used in 10 years.. it's pretty true.

The one benefit to racks is you don't need to insure another piece of equipment

Maybe insurance is different in different states, but according to my insurance agent the liability insurance on my towing vehicle covers the liability of the trailer. I do pay for license on the trailer :idea:

It's funny, I was just looking for a set of these fold down racks for my old C10 (just for looks, but would be handy for calves, pigs, goats or sheep), wish I could find one, apparently they were an option way back when even had a part #

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts