Cattle Prices In Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
As you all know, I have a couple Brahmans, but that is not what I am asking about here. There is a kid in my FFA chapter that really wants to raise a heifer, the problem is he is really strapped for cash. Originally he wanted a Brahman, I seem to have started something. A couple kids are getting them, and several more want them. Problem is in Texas Brahmans run a minimum of $2,500 and he cant afford much more than $1,000. He has been looking at Red Angus or Red Brangus. How much do the heifers typically start at for Red Angus or Red Brangus in Texas? What are some other breeds that are pretty cheap? The reason I ask is that he is a really hard worker, never complains about anything, and really deserves a heifer, and if he wasnt someone I thought would do a good job, I wouldnt waste my time. Thanks for any info.

I think the brangus are about the same, angus is just slightly less. Has he thought about Longhorns? Everyone I know that has them has tried to talk me into them and swears by them. A good Longhorn heifer runs about $500- $600, or at least that's what I've been told.

Hey Tx, what school dist. is he in? Has he talked to his extension agent? He may be able to help him out. I ain't been around showing nothing in several years. If he can, he needs to make some of the heifer shows and ask around. Get to know some people. I knew of some people who would work a deal with a kid. Let em borrow or for a nominal fee raise a heifer to show.
Depending on what happened at the show they could give it back or make some other arrangment. Just something to check into.

Dusty Britches":v3nnmdln said:
I think the brangus are about the same, angus is just slightly less. Has he thought about Longhorns? Everyone I know that has them has tried to talk me into them and swears by them. A good Longhorn heifer runs about $500- $600, or at least that's what I've been told.

Some of the shows require that animals be dehorned before they can be shown. You should check into the rules of the shows where he'll be participating.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2wgmamo7 said:
As you all know, I have a couple Brahmans, but that is not what I am asking about here. There is a kid in my FFA chapter that really wants to raise a heifer, the problem is he is really strapped for cash. Originally he wanted a Brahman, I seem to have started something. A couple kids are getting them, and several more want them. Problem is in Texas Brahmans run a minimum of $2,500 and he cant afford much more than $1,000. He has been looking at Red Angus or Red Brangus. How much do the heifers typically start at for Red Angus or Red Brangus in Texas? What are some other breeds that are pretty cheap? The reason I ask is that he is a really hard worker, never complains about anything, and really deserves a heifer, and if he wasnt someone I thought would do a good job, I wouldnt waste my time. Thanks for any info.

I know myself and several other ranchers have helped some underprivledged kids. Some have given labor to buy calves, there should be someone willing to help in your area.

Please pardon my ignorance but why are Brahmas so expensive? Is it the bulls or heifers that are $2500? I have commercial with strong Hereford influence.
COme to think of it, I've yet to see Brahmas in my area just Brahma crosses.

I dont know why Brahmans are going up so much. It is $2,500 for a heifer. Well, now it is hard to even find one for that price. I know about a week after I got my heifer Detering raised to $3,000. That is about the cheapest I know of. I think about average for a Brahman show heifer is $3,500-$4,000.

Mostly it is the heifers that are expensive. I am partial to Brahmans since I raise Red Brahmans but some of the reasons they are so expensive is because they are so versatile. They can be used in an F-1 program or in a Registered program. Brahmans also enjoy a healthy export market to Central and South America and sometimes to SE Asia.

Their ability to toloerate heat, get a live calf on the ground and continue to milk in hot weather also makes them popular across the South.

And lastly they are just so darn cute.

5-23-200524.png

Plus they eat grass, whereas other coon hounds have to be fed with either people food or store bought dog food. :lol:

Mighty nice looking little critter, Ruby. Are you really sure that you'll be able to stand it without those little ones every year?

cherokeeruby":1oe19aqz said:
Mostly it is the heifers that are expensive. I am partial to Brahmans since I raise Red Brahmans but some of the reasons they are so expensive is because they are so versatile. They can be used in an F-1 program or in a Registered program. Brahmans also enjoy a healthy export market to Central and South America and sometimes to SE Asia.

Their ability to toloerate heat, get a live calf on the ground and continue to milk in hot weather also makes them popular across the South.

And lastly they are just so darn cute.

5-23-200524.png

Dang ugly beast,don't fret I can be there with a trailer in a few hours to haul all the ugly little critters off.

Beautiful heifer Ruby!

And I don't know how you're going to stand it being without them.

:(

Brahman females have always been high priced.. show stock doubly so! Went to a sale this spring and saw two 16 year old girls bid on a show prospect.. ended up at $17,000

What I do is tell them to take them, feed them, and bring them back when you are done. They raise them and calm them down. I use them for replacements.

Although FL has MANY Brahma's, you don't see them at shows much. You will see their crosses though. Tough, tough cattle. We call them woods cows. They can survive on just about anything.

Sorry, I'm not from Texas, I'm from Canada, and have Red Angus and we know the breed, but here are some averages and sale reports from the Fall 2004 Female Sale Season, this might help a little, everything is in Canadian funds.

21st Annual Hayshaker Sale
Aug. 7/04 at Clyde,Ab.
Auctioneer: Steve Dorran, Airdrie,Ab.
Sale Management: Optimal Bovines Inc., Red Deer,Ab.

26 Cow Calf pairs $109,850 $4,225
37 Bred Heifers $122,050 $3,299
1 Heifer Calf $3,500 $3,500
1 Embryo Lot $2,850 $2,850
65 Lots $238,250 $3,665

The August Angus Event 2004
August 8/04
Sale Location: Lloydminster,Sk.
Sale Management : Optimal Bovines Inc. , Red Deer, Ab.

Gross Average
3 Cow/Calf Pairs $7,550 $2,517
2 Bred Cows $5,400 $2,700
43 Bred Heifers $86,800 $2,019
2 Heifer Calves $5,200 $2,600
50 Lots $104,750 $2,100

6th Annual KBJ Female Celebration Sale 2004
Oct 17/04
Sale Location: Clyde,Ab.
Sale Management : Optimal Bovines Inc. , Red Deer, Ab.

Gross Average
60 Bred Heifers $139,500 $2,325

32nd Annual Canadian Red Round-up Sale
Red Deer, Alberta.
Gross Average
1 Bull Calf $5,500 $5,500
36 Bred Heifers $158,950 $4,415
3 Bred Cows $7,350 $2,450
28 Heifer Calves $75,850 $2,709
7 Cow/Calf Pairs $42,100 $6,014
2 Pick of The Herd Flushes $6,500 $3,250
78 Live Lots $296,250 $3,847

Those are just a few, I know its not much but it could sort of give you an idea.

Here is my source for this information if you want to go any further into it http://www.cattlemanagement.ca/female04.htm

LMFAO Caustic Burno, I agree with ya. Brahmans are some ugly critters and really not the best of breeds to sell. I don't know who would pay the ridiculous prices some people have mentioned in the posts. But I might be of some help TxCoUnTrYbOy, how big a heifer is your friend looking for? I have an uncle that raises Brahmans and I could be able to get one that's within your friends budget if not less.

He is looking for a calf anywhere from 7-10 months, or somewhere around that age. Basically just something still small enough to work with and get halter broken. Are they red or gray brahmans?

Ill let that comment about them being ugly slide this time, since you are helping me out ;)

He's got a lil bit of both, but mostly gray. That comment on the Brahmans was JMO, but I'll stick to it ;).

He has a lil bit of both, but mostly gray. I am sure he has one about the age you are looking for. What color do you want? Let me know any other specifics.

Damn comps and software, never work right the first time. :( Sorry bout the two identical replies.

He is looking for a red heifer. There isnt really many details that I know of, just red heifer somewhere around 7-10 months old. Where is he located?

Thanks a ton

he should look at santa gerturdis because i was that spot and i founfd santa gertrudis breeder that help me out. so i got a gert heilfer that was good to to show. i but if you look a santa gertrudis a breder will help you out with your freind problem.

Latest posts