Cattle Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

Doggone it Bill......I KNEW as soon as I posted that pic someone would say something about that! :oops: It was a burn barrel that had seen its better days due to the heifer on the right rubbing her head on it and knocking it over. So I put the only piece of tin on this place over the sharp edges of the barrel so they wouldn't step in it until I could haul it off. Its gone and was only there for a few days, but I hear ya. I'm a huge one on an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and with calves and colts out here, whatever they can get into, they will. Then there's that "junque" paranoia that I have........You know the one where if you leave that stuff there, it multiplies........

Well, we're off and running with the calving. Came home tonight from our annual general meeting of the community pasture in time to find that a little gray angus/char cross cow that had been looking a bit thin had calved.

No wonder she was so thin - twins! Both males, and what a load to carry, poor old girl. The gray is around the 110lbs mark and his little tan brother about 95lbs.

Brought them into the basement to warm them up by the woodstove, as the old girl was plenty played out. Will introduce them to her in the a.m.

Take care.

Hpim5150.jpg

Judging by the colour of the calves, I'd say one of the Fleckveih lined Simmental bulls, given that the cow is a light gray. If they were Charolais sired I'd be expecting silver gray or white calves.

The biggest twins that were ever born here was two years ago. One of my best SimX cows ruined herself over a freak set. The male was 120lbs and the female was every bit of 115lbs. Poor cow ruptured some of the muscles of her abdomen carrying those two. The calves could only nurse from her right side, as her left hung down almost to her hock level. They were sired by one of my Charolais bulls...just a genetic fluke that they were that huge, as the twins usually average around the 90lbs mark here or a bit lighter.

Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of twin calves. The only advantage of a set of twins is that at least you have an insurance calf (a back-up, so to speak) if you lose a calf from another cow.

Take care.

EEKS - is that the cold weather affect - huge twins! :shock:
The Canadian Simmentals that I have been familiar with are usually larger cattle with bigger calves.
I thought a set weighing in at 90 & 85 were huge!! Poor cow.

Here's the new bull we just got. He is almost 3 yrs old and is a registered brangus. There is one of my fat herefords in the background, she's the only cow I have with horns.
HPIM0189.jpg

Is the little baldy calf by the bull out of the horned cow?

dun

From the location of the facial whorl she must be just almost perfectly dispositioned

dun

Dun... the calf is out of another hereford cow, and a black limo bull we had for about 3 months. He got injured and we had to sell him, but I have several nice calves out of him. I have had this brangus bull only a couple of months. I can't wait to see his calves.

She is a lady, always comes running when I call, always has a great calf, always curious of what I am doing. Really calm. I couldn't ask for one much better.

sidney411":3gtvgwue said:
Dun... the calf is out of another hereford cow, and a black limo bull we had for about 3 months. He got injured and we had to sell him, but I have several nice calves out of him. I have had this brangus bull only a couple of months. I can't wait to see his calves.

I was curious because those hairy nubs sure look like horn buds.

dun

Here are our two newest Longhorn bull calves born in early January. Both out of about 1200 lb mature cows. One was an A.I. calf (took on first take), other was natural service. Both weighed 55 lbs. The A.I. calf was A.I. sired by "Phenomenon"...have great hopes for him!

WarriorPhenomenon1-20-05.jpg

[/img]

One on left (A.I. calf): "Phenomenon X Rag Tag"
One on right (natural service): "Chippewa Warrior X Senator's Symbol"

Can see the dams on our website.

I'm not sure, I haven't worked her yet. The cow doesn't have horns but the limo had scurrs, so she may show some horn growth. The other 3 calves I have on the ground out of him have expressed no horns. I don't know.

sidney411":6604yjku said:
I'm not sure, I haven't worked her yet. The cow doesn't have horns but the limo had scurrs, so she may show some horn growth. The other 3 calves I have on the ground out of him have expressed no horns. I don't know.

Could be scurs, could be just strange hair growth. Looks can be so deceiving

dun

Dun, you brought up facial swirls (whorls--whatever). Are these the same as location of swirls on horses to tell temper/disposition?

fellersbarnoneranch":3ji3kjlo said:
Dun, you brought up facial swirls (whorls--whatever). Are these the same as location of swirls on horses to tell temper/disposition?

Don't know about horses. Back when we were breeding horses all of the "science" wasn't available on facial whorls. There's a thread from a couple of weeks or so ago about them on cattle.

dun

CattleAnnie, good luck with those big babies. That poor cow. All I could think of was ouch.

sidney411, is that little baldy calf sprouting horns or is it just how the hair is on the top of it's head? BTW, nice pics.

Katherine

dun":1sm7zd7t said:
Don't know about horses. Back when we were breeding horses all of the "science" wasn't available on facial whorls. There's a thread from a couple of weeks or so ago about them on cattle.dun

"Science"! HA! That's gypsy wisdom if I recall correctly. Where's cattle_gal? She should be familiar with that--seems like she knows Linda Tellington-Jones and that lady included in-depth details on it. I will look up the thread later when I am not feeling so lazy/worn out!

Latest posts