cattle on feed report

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Well, it's out and obviously they are getting concerned, because everybody is holding, and lets put as much pressure as we can stand. If you have hay and grass, and don't need to make a payment, hold em, put em in their damn place. Your cattle ain't gonna do nothing but get bigger, and closer to butcher weight.

We're holding. Once they get to around ~900 though, they've gotta go - AND - there's some of them that'll get there sooner rather than later. There's so much grass they don't even eat all the time. They lay around, get up and eat a few bites, then lay back down. Some of these calves are the very definition of "fleshy".

In a lot of places, its difficult to get a fair price for calves over 750 if you just have a handful to sale. To many sale barn buyers only have orders for smaller animals.

I'm holding the entire calf crop.

Little worried though. I sold a couple of culls 5 weeks ago and the sale barn looked like a ghost town. This trend has been getting worse for years.

shaz said:
I'm holding the entire calf crop.

Little worried though. I sold a couple of culls 5 weeks ago and the sale barn looked like a ghost town. This trend has been getting worse for years.

That was the case around here a month or so ago, seems to be a little more activity recently though. I do think its less numbers than in years past for this time of year. As far as people at the sales that is definitely declined too. Was told that at a regional registered Angus sale a few weeks ago that it looked like a ghost town, years ago there was standing room only. We have been buying some bred cows and cow/calf pairs at stockyards, and last night at a monthly cow sale there was around 300 cows, and not many people sitting in the sales arena.

We are fortunate and got some good rain the last month. Any thing that is ready to be weaned I'm pulling off and putting on grass. Prices are the same here for a #400 or a #700 so it's going to be a weight game. Hopefully we will get a bump in prices before winter. I'm not going to feed them hay thru the winter. We have about 3 months before they are going one way or another.

I'm worried when we seen the slightest bump in prices every holding out is going to dump.

Brute 23 said:
We are fortunate and got some good rain the last month. Any thing that is ready to be weaned I'm pulling off and putting on grass. Prices are the same here for a #400 or a #700 so it's going to be a weight game. Hopefully we will get a bump in prices before winter. I'm not going to feed them hay thru the winter. We have about 3 months before they are going one way or another.

I'm worried when we seen the slightest bump in prices every holding out is going to dump.

I don't think you have much to worry about. I looked at the cattle on feed report and there is a slight decline but nothing major. The reporting period for Oct & Nov is the one I really want to see.

shaz said:
Brute 23 said:

I don't think you have much to worry about. I looked at the cattle on feed report and there is a slight decline but nothing major. The reporting period for Oct & Nov is the one I really want to see.
October, November and December is always a slow time for cattle sales. To many holidays in a row and people closing out the last quarter of the year and deferring profits until the next year.

It looked to me like feedlot inventory was highest at that time of year. If there is a 2-3% decline on peak volume that may be a sign of better things to come.

brute, feeder flash with corbitt wall has a pretty good daily video on utube

Plenty of cattle available, and soon we will be in National Dead Calf month.

Many backgrounders here are loading up with sugar beet shreds.

Longer term question is whether there are enough hogs and feeders to eat all the grain ? I think grain guys are in trouble once the Trump checks cease.

Noticed that North Alabama is all cotton. That hasn't been the case in a long time. Two years ago it was corn & soy.

Nice to have (profitable) options. I don't think the globe is warm enough yet to grow cotton or peanuts in Minnesota.

Some grain guys still have P & K they can mine every year, but in my woodlands soil region you need to apply manure to have a consistent chance for making a little money. A way to do this is to put up confinement hog or mono slope beef barns. Not my favorite system.

Brute 23 said:
Where do yall look at those numbers? Is there a website by chance?
Brute, I look at everything, feeder auctions, USDA summaries, placements and history, grain reports, its all a big game for the people with money, we just have to be better chess players. I'm taking some tomorrow.

Stocker Steve said:
Too much information.
You need to focus on your local market(s).
Well steve, all bets are off when the market does what it did today. Wish mine would have sold earlier, prices were ok, when the news came everyone took a beating, including us.

Latest posts