Cattle & Elk

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a friend that lives down along the Columbia River. The elk tear holes in his fences coming into the fields. He will fix fence regularly for a month or two until he gets mad. Then he gets on the four wheeler with a shotgun loaded with birdshot. When he is done chasing the elk off there isn't a fence left standing. He says it takes him a week to fix the fence but he feels better and the elk stay away for 8 days.
Dave

Oldtimer":o4gb3xwh said:
frenchie":o4gb3xwh said:
We used to have problems with elk getting into our hay yards. finally dad got some blood meal from D.N.R and scattered that around the bales. That worked.

The bad news is that dad left the remainder of the bag of bloodmeal in my garage.Its real good for attracting bears :lol:

frenchie-I thought bloodmeal was banned- could transmit BSE ;-) ......

Dick, that would have of likely been around 94 or 95 before the ban.He was still living in the same yard as me .I bought him and my siblings out in Nov of 95. But its not like he was feeding it he just punched a hole in one corner walked around the outside of hay yard fences

Oldtimer":o4gb3xwh said:
Out here on the plains we have problems with them getting into wheat and hay fields and tearing down fences, too... Fish and Game sometimes tries scare guns and herding to keep them out of the fields- but I think the elk are winning the battle... To make up for it many have put their land in block management (F&G program where they pay landowners to allow open hunting) and some have gotten guides and outfitting licenses....
If you can't beat them- at least profit from them......

Scare cannons don,t work.They get used to them.

We had trouble with fences too, till I wisened up and put some slack in the top wire of our high-tensile fences That made a huge difference, unfortunately it does not help with Moose:lol they don,t seem to know how to lift their feet.Sure glad that they only come through every couple of yrs.

The problem with elk is once they climb up on a bale and P.I.S.S on it, the cows generally refuse to eat it.

We used to have the same problem here with elk destroying hay bales in this area of Manitoba,(some guys would lose all the hay bales in a field) till one rancher in this area got tired of having to chase them off every nite. He shot an elk,left him where he fell phoned the game warden told him what he had done. They hauled him in to court and they lost.Basically The judge told them that gov,t had a responsiblity to have these animals under control(not the rancher) and the rancher had a right to protect his livelyhood.That meant that anyone having a problem with an elk in his hay could shoot them without consequence :lol:
Funny thing is . :lol: Within a yr or so they had trapped most of the problem elk herds in this area. And then sold them off to elk ranchers.

We've got Elk and Black tail deer on our property. When I built a new fence on a recaptured pasture I had a real problem with them going through the fence. But after a while they figure out it was easier and less shocking to go over it. A couple of years ago, my wife and I watch a cow elk go over a 2 barb and 1 hot strand of fence, the Bull elk behind her went through it like it wasn't there.

Alan

frenchie":3tl51cyh said:
Oldtimer":3tl51cyh said:
frenchie":3tl51cyh said:
We used to have problems with elk getting into our hay yards. finally dad got some blood meal from D.N.R and scattered that around the bales. That worked.

The bad news is that dad left the remainder of the bag of bloodmeal in my garage.Its real good for attracting bears :lol:

Dick, that would have of likely been around 94 or 95 before the ban.He was still living in the same yard as me .I bought him and my siblings out in Nov of 95. But its not like he was feeding it he just punched a hole in one corner walked around the outside of hay yard fences

Here I thought I'd solved the loophole in your feedban and found the answer for all the Post feedban positives Canada is finding... ;-) :lol:

Oldtimer":17inhnnk said:
frenchie":17inhnnk said:
Oldtimer":17inhnnk said:
frenchie":17inhnnk said:

Here I thought I'd solved the loophole in your feedban and found the answer for all the Post feedban positives Canada is finding... ;-) :lol:

Wishful thinking on your part :p

Latest posts