Cattle Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate lab. It follows along behind me and doesn't bother the cows.

Actually breed doesn't matter much. A good dog can be a great help in the right times and places. A bad dog will cause more wrecks and problems than they are worth.

Dave

as stated a bad dog can cause alot of problems what you want is a herding dog that you can use to move cattle an you want a calm dog like a border collie or aussie sheperd scott

Dave":i6rs4xfj said:
Chocolate lab. It follows along behind me and doesn't bother the cows.

Actually breed doesn't matter much. A good dog can be a great help in the right times and places. A bad dog will cause more wrecks and problems than they are worth.

Dave

I agree.

I have an ancient calm golden that follows me everywhere and leaves the cows alone--except when they get too close to me-- and I have a 30 lb compact border collie mix from a southern shelter, that is currently "in training" and doing well.

You can find lots of good trainable dogs--most purebred-- at dog pounds, shelters and rescues that can fit the bill with some training and consistancy.

I've used border collies, aust. shepards and heelers. Collies are the calmest. Females make the best cattle dogs. The males are to agressive in anything but the collie.

I like the border collie. Ive thought about Heelers and Kelpies, and maybe curs, but I really like the border collie cause they are so smart. Its funny too, because it seems that some dogs go with an area also. Like down south, curs are used to hunt down the cattle as well as herd them. Ive seen alot of border collies in places like the west and in Montana. They're alot of heelers in this area. I like the looks of the kelpie. I was just wanting some input

CopeMan":3r3wegkg said:
I like the border collie. Ive thought about Heelers and Kelpies, and maybe curs, but I really like the border collie cause they are so smart. Its funny too, because it seems that some dogs go with an area also. Like down south, curs are used to hunt down the cattle as well as herd them. Ive seen alot of border collies in places like the west and in Montana. They're alot of heelers in this area. I like the looks of the kelpie. I was just wanting some input
Good input, CopeMan. It seems that Female Border Collies would make the most desirable choice for the general western Cattle breeder to consider. Any other thoughts from anyone?

I've raised both Heelers and Border Collies for over 40 years-- Heelers usually have more bite- especially good for moving big bunches of nosy yearlings- or bulls-- but they are also more one man, antisocial, and can be bitey around kids and people they don't know...

The current line of Border Collies I'm raising have the bite along with the easy going temperament, with bred in herding instincts...They also know when to exit a situation (ex.--new momma with a calf) rather than aggravating it....Went strictly to Border Collies only, when the Grandkids came along- couldn't take a chance on one of them or their friends getting their face bit open by a cantakerous old heeler or heeler cross....

I use a Austrailian Shepard. hubby had a blue heeler when he was herdsman for a local breeder. That dog was fast...better have the gates set right before sending the heeler after the cows. But he was aggressive.
We have 3 little tikes. And the heeler liked to try to corral them and nip at their heels.
The aussie is more of an all around pet. Great with the kids and good with the cows. Just a pup yet and the horns tend to intimidate him a little, but we are working on that.
Get a pup hurt and he will never get after the cows like he ought to. Then you just have a yard dog.

I know there are exceptions to everything.But if i had to choose between an Aus.Shepperd,Border Collie,Heeler's and Kelpies,I'd pick a Kelpie.

I have seen more good Kelpie's than any of the other breeds.Border Collie would be my next choice out of the herding dogs.

I need more catch in my dog's so that is why i use the Cur dogs.However the best all round dog that i ever owned was a 1/2 English Bull dog 1/2 Bluetick Hound.She is the measureing stick that i judge all other cow dog's on.

I guess it all depends on if you want to herd them or work them in a pen. Usually this will require two different dogs. A herder is usually less aggressive than a pen dog. "Usually" a herder doesn't make a good pen dog.

The best we ever had was half black lab, half pit bull. The lab portion gave him intelligence and manors. The pit bull side gave him the aggressiveness he needed to deal with cattle. Read Bull Fight, he was the dog that could and would separate fighting bulls but he waited until instructed to do so.

i have seen good dogs from alot of crosses. think the best i ever had was a border collie-heeler cross, but i had a german shepard female that would tackle anything aside from a bear & if the bear would have come after me i am sure she would have tackled him. seen her jump right on a bull's head one time when he came after me

well I have really considered a Kelpie, but I was wanting some input on them. From waht I have seen of them , they seem smarter than heelers and braver than border collies.

Latest posts