Cattle chute neck bar ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

You could modify your chute with a couple small weldments and use a chain like on a Priefert. Pretty simple design that is safe. Pickup on the attached video at about 15:30 to see how it works.

That's interesting. I've never seen that. Would be easy to add that to any chute. Only thing I see is that his cow was really calm and easy to handle. Mine are not wild but 50-60% you aren't going to be handled like that without trying to break your jaw. Getting the chain over her nose and then over top of her head, without slipping one before the other, seems tough

So I bought the Filson one which is same brand as my chute. Welded 2 tabs on and installed couple weeks ago. Used it first time today to implant older steers. Worked very well. No pics of calves in it but here's after install

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 19
I had a powder river chute and it came with a nose tong.
kinda like this. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...martRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt
5844C2D8-C8BA-483D-9708-FFAA4D4F58AB.jpeg
So these are probably the biggest reasons I have shoulders that grind and pop. I use to catch 500-800 cows a week for a bred cow sale. We did those at least once a month from November to April.
It seems like cows instinctively stick their nose to the floor when you catch them. Then try and pull there head up and around to tie them up.

I hear that. Stock trailer I wanted was $10g before covid. Now it's 15-17.

Is the Q catch restraint adaptable to another chute?
The QC-920 (built 2023 and earlier) mounts with 4 half inch bolts through the main backing plate. You'd need to fabricate a mount to attach it to the round post.
1710851234480.png

The AL-940 built late 2023 and forward uses a spacer tube and clamping plates to attach to the rails of an Arrowquip headgate. You could remove the tube and clamping plates and use the 1/2" and 3/8" hardware to mount it. Again you'd need fabricate your own mount to the round post. 1710851487906.png

If you need any dimensions of either style let me know.

The QC-920 (built 2023 and earlier) mounts with 4 half inch bolts through the main backing plate. You'd need to fabricate a mount to attach it to the round post.
View attachment 42563

The AL-940 built late 2023 and forward uses a spacer tube and clamping plates to attach to the rails of an Arrowquip headgate. You could remove the tube and clamping plates and use the 1/2" and 3/8" hardware to mount it. Again you'd need fabricate your own mount to the round post. View attachment 42564

If you need any dimensions of either style let me know.
I appreciate your offer, this is what makes this page so awesome. A lot of experience from different areas of the country in all aspects of the industry. But I went ahead and bought the Filson brand head holder. I've learned you often get what you pay for but 1300 and fab'ing my own mounts VS the 300 Filson with ready to weld mounts was to good not to try.
I used it to implant my steers last week, very happy with it so far. I did not expect it to hold the head well enough to implant with, really planned just doing ear tags with it. I had to halter 1 real head slinger but the rest I managed. I won't leave any with neck holder in place to go get meds etc.

Latest posts