Cattle/Bull insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about or if there is cattle insurance? I don't have any real high dollar stuff, but I did just buy a bull and I was thinking how bad that would suck if something happened to him. Is there insurance that covers animals?

Thanks,

T

Millerranch":9257z5ji said:
Can anyone tell me about or if there is cattle insurance? I don't have any real high dollar stuff, but I did just buy a bull and I was thinking how bad that would suck if something happened to him. Is there insurance that covers animals?

Thanks,

T
Please let us know how that works out for you. Thanks in advance.

I used to insure bulls. The only thing it covered was death from accident, like getting hit by lightning or something. Didn't cover stuff like getting the tool dinged or going lame, etc. It was all part of my ranch policy which has a $5K deductible. I also carry a seperate liability policy in addition to automobile liability. All of my insurance is with State Farm so there should be no gaps or overlaps in coverage.

I don't mess with insurance on livestock anymore. Maybe I would still consider doing so if I bought high $$$ bulls. I have stayed within a modest bull buying budget this spring. I bought a horned Hereford 2 yr old a couple weeks ago for $2100 and for the first time ever yesterday I bought a Charolais yearling for $1900.

Ga. Farm Bureau is hard to beat. I figured out the price per head at less than $4.00 per year. Bulls are insured for $2k and cows for $1k and the rest at market value. Insurance coverage is for accidents and liability only. Pretty darn cheap when lightning hits a pine tree and kills 6 of them.

Latest posts