Cattle Books

Help Support CattleToday:

KentuckySpud

Reaction score
I am brand new into the thought of having a cow/calf operation. Have no land and I'm still in college so it is merely just a thought for the future for me.

I was wondering if there's any books you all would recommend about getting into the cattle business or just the cattle business in general. I know forums like this are great to look at but I just figured there were some good books out there as well

Thank you in advance!

Use the search feature on here. There are probably as many threads on cattle books as there are books to read. I can't think of many of the names off hand, but Storey's is a good one.

greatgerts":382u4egu said:
Use the search feature on here. There are probably as many threads on cattle books as there are books to read. I can't think of many of the names off hand, but Storey's is a good one.

I definitely will, thank you!

The Story series are good all around books; from homesteading to animals to gardening.
Try a subscription to a couple of the magazines like Acres USA and Stockman Grass Farmer. Acres USA has a great "bookshelf" and many books can also be found on ebay and such.

Tractor Supply has a pretty decent rack of books and magazines that the beginner can read and then go from there.

Heather Smith Thomas ( I think) writes some of the basic beginner cattle books for Storey publications.

Go to your college library. I assume they still have them. I am old school and not into all the electronic age so I am not being a smart a$$ saying that. Look up agriculture. Are you interested in the more sustainable things, like grazing? There is a ton of literature on that.
There's a magazine out of OHIO called Farming. Written by Amish. Really nice. Also one called Graze for farmers that are into rotational grazing and stuff.
Homesteading forums.
Get in touch with your ag dept at college. Go to your county extension service. They usually have things listed online, like meetings that you can attend. The county extension service is a good place to get free info and leads to go look elsewhere.

Latest posts