Cattle and altitude

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
The "Alaska" topic about raising cattle in that environment prompted my brain to be curious about elevation, and its effect on cattle. How high is too high? What breeds are best? What considerations are relevant when at a high elevation? What is the highest elevation a person can successfully have a cow/calf operation? How high can a cow get?
I know I could google it, but the replies here are more interesting. Google would send me here anyway.

I hauled 15 pair to 10,000 feet last Friday. They will do OK there but to be fair they have been tested and selected to go good at altitude for generations. They were my friends Angus.
Most continentals handle it better. Angus and Red Angus do the worst at altitude..............we call it brisket disease and it's a killer.

We ran them from 4000 to 7000 feet in the eastern Sierra. I don;t know how high you have to be for PAP problems but we never had any.

dun":dm6vtwvc said:
We ran them from 4000 to 7000 feet in the eastern Sierra. I don;t know how high you have to be for PAP problems but we never had any.

5 to 7 thousand is definitely high enough. What kind of cattle were you running Dun?

3waycross":2946g8wx said:
dun":2946g8wx said:

5 to 7 thousand is definitely high enough. What kind of cattle were you running Dun?
Everything from beef dairy crosses to misc. crossbreds (actually mongrels) and usually Brahman bulls.

dun":46edzqza said:
3waycross":46edzqza said:
dun":46edzqza said:

Everything from beef dairy crosses to misc. crossbreds (actually mongrels) and usually Brahman bulls.

All of the above would have probably been easier to run at altitude than a straight angus or red angus. The beefier they get they more they are affected.

3waycross":25hpn45w said:
All of the above would have probably been easier to run at altitude than a straight angus or red angus. The beefier they get they more they are affected.
I'll admit that they sure woeren;t the beefiest cows we've ever run. But they worked there. Having to rustle for their groceries, 300 acres per pair is the nirma, even if they had any beef on them they would wear it away in the desert/mountains. The water spots every 5 miles or so but the biggest restrction was the amount of feed.

I would assume crossbred cattle are better suited for high altitudes, fact or fantasy?

ANAZAZI":afvee578 said:
I would assume crossbred cattle are better suited for high altitudes, fact or fantasy?

Other than a little hybrid vigor , why would you assume that.

3waycross":2t04zcgz said:
ANAZAZI":2t04zcgz said:

Do you observe hybrid vigour concerning altitude issues? That is my question.

ANAZAZI":126oa25m said:
3waycross":126oa25m said:
ANAZAZI":126oa25m said:

Do you observe hybrid vigour concerning altitude issues? That is my question.

Only to the extent that is lowers the Angus percentage.

Latest posts