Catch pen size?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What's the recommended square feet of catch pen space per animal? I'm putting together portable panels for once lease rather than building a permanent pen system. This particular place has 13 now and will have up to 30 mommas. Calves not included

I would want the total size to be about 40x60, then have a couple pens in that to push them up the alley to load, or to the chute.

Holding pen size should be 20 sqft per cow 14 sqft per calf = for 35 cows and calve pairs the holding pen size should be 1200 sqft. you will need additional pens for sorting.

I like a catch pen to be big enough that they aren't too crowded when actually catching them. Last fall I had 172 feet of portable panels set up in a pen to catch 80 head of yearling heifers. A little bigger than 40 by 40. I used a pickup with a trailer for a wing and brought them down along a fence. Crowded them in with three people horseback. That was plenty tight for catching them. The last of them had to be pushed in.

I'm thinking 12 12 ft panels should be good for the catch pen. Plus 4 more for a 24 ft alley to load out or squeeze. And using the truck and trailer for a wing like you do Dave.
I did get to use the portable squeeze for the first time as portable today. Setting up some cows for AI, and spring work up. Have to refine our technique with the portable panels but it went relatively well. Dead eye got kicked once because he managed to let one slip by his side too close. Good lesson learned on his part today. A kind of badge of honor too

Latest posts