Castration question -- HENDERSON tool ??

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen several different videos of the Henderson. Every time I see the family jewel flying around in a circle I wonder what made a person think that idea up.
The reviews always seem to be positive.

I have heard of a tool like that for horses. I never thought about one for cattle. Castrating a horse is a totally different beast from castrating a calf. Seems like over kill on a calf.

What's so hard about cutting the bottom of the sack off, grabbing one nut and ripping it out then do the same to the other one. I tear the cord instead of cutting it by the way. :cowboy:

highgrit - that's the way I grew up castrating 'em. After I had one of my own knife-cut calves come down with tetanus, I switched over to Burdizzo emasculatome. Have continued to use the Burdizzo on my own, and on most client calves, back when I was in practice - unless they wanted them 'cut', in which case, I usually used a Newberry knife to cut the sack, but still just 'pulled' nuts.
Veterinary practice that does most of the large animal work in this area has a Henderson tool, and uses it... but I'm pretty sure that they're usually just doing a calf here, not any large numbers.

I have personally never used a Henderson tool, but have talked to others that use them and have been considering getting one in the future. They are probably not worth using on smaller calves because they are so easy to cut. However, when you are working on calves over 600 lbs., and especially 8-9 weights, I think the Henderson has its advantages. It is hard to cut large bulls without having an occasional calf bleed, no matter how you do it. The Henderson tool reducing the chances of bleeding in these cattle, which is part of the reason it is used in horses.

Was helping a friend work his calves yesterday and the vet was using the henderson tool and a newberry knife. I had looked at it in the past but after seeing how fast and how little blood there was I am thinking about getting one or at least starting to use the newberry knife. He said a couple of things I got questions on.

- Said to give an tetnus antitoxin ( not the vaccine) when using this. I have always knife cut calves and never had a tetnus problem is there something different about this that Id have to or if Id just use the newberry knife?

- After he cut them he'd paint them with tar didn't know if anybody else had heard of it?

bmoore87":2wfpwnup said:
Was helping a friend work his calves yesterday and the vet was using the henderson tool and a newberry knife. I had looked at it in the past but after seeing how fast and how little blood there was I am thinking about getting one or at least starting to use the newberry knife. He said a couple of things I got questions on.

- Said to give an tetnus antitoxin ( not the vaccine) when using this. I have always knife cut calves and never had a tetnus problem is there something different about this that Id have to or if Id just use the newberry knife?

- After he cut them he'd paint them with tar didn't know if anybody else had heard of it?

Anytime strangulation of tissue is involved, risk for tetanus goes up. So things like the Henderson drill bit technique or banding calfs, etc. The bacteria thrive in an anaerobic environment.. the intense twisting of cords can provide that oxygen deprived environment that's suitable for tetanus bacteria to thrive.

I use the Newberry knife on all my small calves. I saw my vet use what I assume is the Henderson tool for the first time last week and posted about in another forum. The bull calf weighed around 650 pounds and didn't bleed at all. He recovered very quickly and I'll now use that method to cut all my calves that are 500+ pounds. As weird as this sounds I don't believe it hurt the calf nearly as bad. I know one calf is a small pool but all the other calves that size I've seen cut with a knife reacted much differently. Just my two cents.

KW

bball":1wao4qv4 said:
bmoore87":1wao4qv4 said:

Anytime strangulation of tissue is involved, risk for tetanus goes up. So things like the Henderson drill bit technique or banding calfs, etc. The bacteria thrive in an anaerobic environment.. the intense twisting of cords can provide that oxygen deprived environment that's suitable for tetanus bacteria to thrive.

Good to know, Sounds like Id be ok if Id just use the newberry knife this year since Im looking to cut in the next week or so and plan on vaccinating for tetnus next year if I decide to add the Henderson tool.

The lack of blood and the speed were what surprised me. Vet said alot less infection to. We usually cut calves at an average of 450lbs with a scalpel and pull the cord out as far as we can. Haven't eer lost any but had some that bleed pretty good.

I had the Vet here yesterday to give the heifer replacement calves their Bangs vaccination, so I had him take care of a few 600 pound bull calves that were not making the grade to remain bulls. He had told me about the Henderson tool before, but I had not seen it in action. It was extremely fast and absolutely no blood. He claimed a tetanus was completely unnecessary, since calves had already had an 8 way which contains tetanus. The calves laid down in the grass after, but when I checked 2 hours later they were up at the bunk eating hay with the rest of the calves. Today they are out on pasture and you would never know they were bulls less than 24 hours ago. They don't seem to be in any discomfort at all and no issue with flies. I should be able to sell them with the rest of the steer calves in a few weeks.

I worked at a commercial feed yard during highscool and they tried it & did not like it. Went back to the callicrate bander.

I know some friends who buy cutter bulls and some up to 1,000 lbs. They say it is the best tool they have found for cutting anything over 600 lbs. I have never seen one. We have let a few get bigger 550 lbs the last 2 years but with my upcoming retirement and pulling the bulls off the cows for 9 months hopefully we will be able to castrate before they get as big. The tetanus shot is one issue even vets don't agree on.

highgrit":1mf14t7j said:
What's so hard about cutting the bottom of the sack off, grabbing one nut and ripping it out then do the same to the other one. I tear the cord instead of cutting it by the way. :cowboy:
I do this same method. Hundreds and hundreds of calves. Works very well, and they heal up fast. I don't like to use this method on calves much bigger than 400lbs.

Latest posts