Castrating Question

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
I have 9 bull calves all between 1 week and 8 weeks old. I have a few guys that are going to castrate for me on sunday. I asked about supplies to provide and I was told nothing was needed. I asked about blood-stop or something for infection. I was told they throw a handfull of ashes on the wound and let 'em go. Has anyone heard of this? He did say it has to be ashes from burned wood and not charcoal.

What does everyone else use after castrating? I think I'll feel more comfortable with some kind of antiseptic.

Since you are a little unsure of this procedure and method of castration, why don't you just "BAND" them your self? Calves 1 week old are a little young to be" knife cut" in my opinion. Suprisingly enough if done right there is little bleeding involved. But if not done right heavy bleeding can happen, if enough of the bag isn't removed then it won't drain properly afterwards. Flys, these are just a couple of things to consider.

I guess I didn't answer your question!

I brand and work my calves outside on green grass minimizing the risk of infection. I cut them and turn them loose. I stay away from the dusty corral.

all you need is a sharp knife, we don't have fly problems this time of year. if you don't trust them, then why are you letting them cut your calves?

I'm not unsure of their methods. I feel cutting is the best, it's been done for centuries. I trust them. Just hadn't heard of the ashes part, of course there is a lot I haven't heard of, so I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this. Theyve been working cattle forever and do it the old fashioned way which is fine with me. I just thought spraying a little something to help it heal faster and to prevent infection wouldn't be a bad idea. You know the old saying, "an ounce of prevention..." Not really worried about flies.

Just wanted a few thoughts on what others do after castrating from some of those on this board who have a little wisdom in the matter.

Dont feel bad about being new at dealing with cattle as for me I just started a few months ago. You will find a lot of people on here are ready to give you good advice they have helped me through a few problems and for that I am thankful.

We castrated about 300 calves since june,all were cut w/ sharp scissors. Every calf gets 10cc of pennicillin. We rinse scissors after every calf in a bucket of bleach water & soap. Also, make sure scrotum has no manure etc. on it. Only had one calf that had infection trouble. That's how we do it and it seems to work pretty good. Hillside

gal my advice would be Not to throw ashes on the bag.
spray some iodine on there and be done with it. keep an eye on them they will walk stiff legged for awhile but i rarely have problems.
i like banding at a few days old. if you have some two months old i would cut them though.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I can always count on a few straight forward words of sound advice amongst the criticisms and smart alec answers.

Ultimately, each of us has to find what works best for our own situation and those who are willing to share their knowledge, experience, and what works best for them gives us semi-new cattle people more options for consideration.

A6gal":ks3373je said:
I have 9 bull calves all between 1 week and 8 weeks old. I have a few guys that are going to castrate for me on sunday. I asked about supplies to provide and I was told nothing was needed. I asked about blood-stop or something for infection. I was told they throw a handfull of ashes on the wound and let 'em go. Has anyone heard of this? He did say it has to be ashes from burned wood and not charcoal.

What does everyone else use after castrating? I think I'll feel more comfortable with some kind of antiseptic.

We use a lysol concentrate solution for castrating - fill a 5 quart bucket with warm water and add a fairly decent splash of lysol concentrate. I always add a decent splash and Dad always dilutes it - hence the fairly decent splash. I know these are far from precise measures, but - based on your posts - I think you've had enough experience to decipher how much to add.

mscamp, do you use the lysol solution for sterilizing the knife or for spraying on cut following castration?

When we have to use a knife to help the neighbours castrate at branding time, we use a dilute Detol in a pail of hot water as a disinfectant for knives/scalpels.

Just another option to think about.

Take care.

The reason I don't use an ant-septic when castrating is the after-taste it leaves.

A6gal":2y7288k2 said:
mscamp, do you use the lysol solution for sterilizing the knife or for spraying on cut following castration?

Both, except we don't spray - just splash a little on the wound when done.

always, Always, ALWAYS!!!! be polite to ladies who know how to perform this procedure!!!

:lol:

Bez!

Latest posts