Castrating Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Why would you use a disinfectant for floors and bathrooms on an insterment used for cutting a calf? Alcohol and peroxide are cheap and would do a much better job of disinfecting. I never heard of anyone pouring lysol on their own cuts. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does nobody crimp anymore I just crimp my bulls when they get to 4 or 5 months old no blood or infections to worry about.

I think the crimping has gone by the wayside for a couple reasons. One, it is not always effective, and two the calf still 'looks' like a bull when your through. Could be a regional thing, I don't know of anyone who does that any more here.

ctlbaron":16whtmvy said:
Why would you use a disinfectant for floors and bathrooms on an insterment used for cutting a calf? Alcohol and peroxide are cheap and would do a much better job of disinfecting. I never heard of anyone pouring lysol on their own cuts. Maybe I'm wrong.

Lysol concentrate is a hospital type disinfectant. Could you possibly be thinking about the Lysol household cleaner?

Many years ago, my Grandfather used ashes on calves when cutting. Not a lot of readily available antiseptics I guess.

We use alcohol or peroxide, and follow up with antibiotic.

Well,,,,,being a rookie at this also, even though I have cut more hogs than I want to remember, I really like to band them vs cutting, it's much easier for me. I put them in the head catch and I always remember,,,2 IN HAND BEFORE RELEASING THE BAND

you can buy a good bander from Jeffers for under 30 bucks and it comes with a few bands.

Me and the wife did a few a couple months back and it was not bad at all, trying to get the calf relaxed is the toughest part.

My wife comes in handy with that, she likes spoilng them all.

C HOLLAND":3b7961zq said:
Well,,,,,being a rookie at this also, even though I have cut more hogs than I want to remember, I really like to band them vs cutting, it's much easier for me. I put them in the head catch and I always remember,,,2 IN HAND BEFORE RELEASING THE BAND

you can buy a good bander from Jeffers for under 30 bucks and it comes with a few bands.

Me and the wife did a few a couple months back and it was not bad at all, trying to get the calf relaxed is the toughest part.

My wife comes in handy with that, she likes spoilng them all.

UH OH. I smell trouble. Come selling time she may not want to part with them either. Much less eat one. ;-)

I know I am going to get blasted for this one, but here goes,,,,My brother did 4 with an electrical tie wrap and he said it was the best thing he has ever used.

I guess if it stops the circulation and they fall off and no infections that all that counts. OH YEAH a tetnus shot is a good thing to give.

MikeC":nz7edr3w said:
UH OH. I smell trouble. Come selling time she may not want to part with them either. Much less eat one. ;-)

And she gives them all names too, especially the heifer that knocked her into the water tub, she now call her HAMBURGER

If there are no flies, you'd probably be fine with nothing sprayed on the site. As long as they've severed/pulled cords up high enough, you'll be fine. As far as bleeding goes, as long as you can count the drops you're okay. If it's faster than that, you gotta go back and get the rest of the cord - pull it/crimp it whatever...

just my humble opinion, of course. And using vise grips to pull down on the bottom of the scrotum helps out - so you don't cut too close to your fingers.

I guess I will stay with crimping I have done a few hogs and I didn't care for that being male. I haven't had one yet unsuccessful and I don't think they still look like bulls you definately can tell

Scout":dqlpkox1 said:
If there are no flies, you'd probably be fine with nothing sprayed on the site. As long as they've severed/pulled cords up high enough, you'll be fine. As far as bleeding goes, as long as you can count the drops you're okay. If it's faster than that, you gotta go back and get the rest of the cord - pull it/crimp it whatever...

just my humble opinion, of course. And using vise grips to pull down on the bottom of the scrotum helps out - so you don't cut too close to your fingers.

Instead of vice grips, do like the old sheep herders did when docking lambs, use your teeth.

A6gal":2mm2jwm2 said:
I have 9 bull calves all between 1 week and 8 weeks old. I have a few guys that are going to castrate for me on sunday. I asked about supplies to provide and I was told nothing was needed. I asked about blood-stop or something for infection. I was told they throw a handfull of ashes on the wound and let 'em go. Has anyone heard of this? He did say it has to be ashes from burned wood and not charcoal.

What does everyone else use after castrating? I think I'll feel more comfortable with some kind of antiseptic.

We let em' bleed out, Im not kidding. We have not had a problem since we did it a few months ago to about 8 bulls, we just let them go from the chute and walk around and they bleed a little. My boss said that they want to get some of the liquids out of there to prevent infection.

A6gal":2qlkb0lr said:
I have 9 bull calves all between 1 week and 8 weeks old. I have a few guys that are going to castrate for me on sunday. I asked about supplies to provide and I was told nothing was needed. I asked about blood-stop or something for infection. I was told they throw a handfull of ashes on the wound and let 'em go. Has anyone heard of this? He did say it has to be ashes from burned wood and not charcoal.

What does everyone else use after castrating? I think I'll feel more comfortable with some kind of antiseptic.

We used to cut our bull calves at branding time when they were 1 week - 2 months old. However, after losing one to a serious infection, we changed our methods. I much prefer to band them when they are newborns. Hubby would rather use the knife, but after that loss, we decided to use bands. I do them all myself, when we weigh, tag and dehorn paste them. Just throw them on their side, kneel over/on them facing the rear and pull their back leg forward and slide the band on and make sure you can feel 2!! Takes about a minute and they're done.

rross":36kkua1z said:
The reason I don't use an ant-septic when castrating is the after-taste it leaves.

Been to a few of those brandings. Still like the knife. ;)

Latest posts