Castrate & Sale or Save For Breeding? How To Do/Decide H

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello Again,

Have appreciated all the input we've recieved from you folks. Need to ask again...

We're new in the business and just starting out. Have had numerous "opinions" given on these topics. Would like some input from you folks.

Have 4 Black Angus male calves. It's time to decide to sell. Is it better to sell for bulls or castrate and sell for meat?

When is the best time to castrate? What is the best way to castrate? Any recommendations or opinions?

We've been told that it's best to have a vet do it. Others have said that it's better, easier and cheaper just to band them like the sheep.

Any help, opinions, suggestions or directions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Lots of opinions on technique - perhaps find out what the favored method in your area is and get a local cattleman to show you how to do it. Vet for this job is not very economical in my opinion. On the other hand if you only have a few it may be worth your piece of mind or whatever.

Bulls not a good idea unless they are registered and high quality. Otherwise you will get less than steer prices.

I like to cut, myself and I prefer to do it at about a month but do it anywhere from brand new to over a year sometimes. It isn't hard but you might want to have someone show you. After restraining (calves - held by two helpers or three feet tied on ground, or in a calf table, bigger guys in the big chute and tailed by a helper) I cut the lower third of the scrotum off. I use number 12 (I think) scalpel blades in a metal handle, but any sharp knife will work. Then depending on size and "retractability" I grab one or both testicles an pull them out. Small calve you can just pull them loose, bigger stuff you want to cut, but not slice. You kind of scrape to stimulate the cut area to clot, otherwise they sometimes bleed too much. Some like to make a long slice of the scrotum and work from the side - either way don't be stingy on opening the sac - you want it for clean drainage.

Tetanus/multi blackleg shots are a must for all calves.

Hippie Rancher":2vlecom5 said:
Lots of opinions on technique - perhaps find out what the favored method in your area is and get a local cattleman to show you how to do it. Vet for this job is not very economical in my opinion. On the other hand if you only have a few it may be worth your piece of mind or whatever.

Bulls not a good idea unless they are registered and high quality. Otherwise you will get less than steer prices.

I like to cut, myself and I prefer to do it at about a month but do it anywhere from brand new to over a year sometimes. It isn't hard but you might want to have someone show you. After restraining (calves - held by two helpers or three feet tied on ground, or in a calf table, bigger guys in the big chute and tailed by a helper) I cut the lower third of the scrotum off. I use number 12 (I think) scalpel blades in a metal handle, but any sharp knife will work. Then depending on size and "retractability" I grab one or both testicles an pull them out. Small calve you can just pull them loose, bigger stuff you want to cut, but not slice. You kind of scrape to stimulate the cut area to clot, otherwise they sometimes bleed too much. Some like to make a long slice of the scrotum and work from the side - either way don't be stingy on opening the sac - you want it for clean drainage.

Tetanus/multi blackleg shots are a must for all calves.

Is there any benefit in cutting over banding?

sanchez":3otbj9pb said:
Is there any benefit in cutting over banding?

Well the main one is you know you got them! :shock:

I think it is personal preference but I have read there is a slight higher risk for tetanus from banding (and cord crushing without removal).

When you say "band them like the sheep" I assume you have done this with sheep and have some experience. If not, get a vet or someone who has experience to help or show you. The first time we banded our own it was a mess and the vet bill to fix cost more than what vet would have charged.

The only thing we take into consideration banding vs. cutting is the season ~ no cutting during fly season. But, that is a good question, will lookk forward to replies.

Two in hand...release the band.

If you loose one then cut the band and try again...that is why we always have a pair of dikes in the calf box.

We let them get their feet under them and some colostrumin the belly before banding, ususlly a day or two.
DMc

Band them. We do it at branding when they are a couple months old but you can do it at birth. Just make sure you have both nuts which can be a challenge getting them in there when the calves get too big. If they are too big to band and you want them cut then you should take them to the vet in my opinion. Or just sell them as they are. We have had some "slip by" the roundup or were born after branding that we sold as bulls (not for breeding purposes, just beef) and didn't take a price hit. But that's here, could be different where you are. Perhaps you could call an auction yard and see how much of a hit you will take by selling them uncut. When you figure in your time and effort and vet cost to have them cut, it's probably going to be a wash. Just my opinion.

Latest posts