Castrate or not??

Help Support CattleToday:

Circle G

Reaction score
I have six pregnant cows now. I am trying to build up a larger heard. I am planning on selling all the calves to buy more heifers already old enough to breed.

My question is do I need to castrate the males or just take them to the market the way they are?

I would castrate them. Most buyers don't like the risk of buying them and then castrating them later. You will probably get a better price with them being castrated.

Circle G":1nrt1w3l said:
I have six pregnant cows now. I am trying to build up a larger heard. I am planning on selling all the calves to buy more heifers already old enough to breed.

My question is do I need to castrate the males or just take them to the market the way they are?

Circle G., If you plan to sell them before they reach 500 lbs. they don't normally get docked as bad for being bulls as they will if sold heavier. Leaving them bulls will add enough weight to about compensate for the price difference at sell time. It's not hard to cut or band them. Folks with larger #s of cattle looking for every price advantage usually will make steers of them.

Circle G...,

Check with your buyer source and determine what they want.

We are finding that leaving them intact to about 400#+ and
then knife castration gives us better growth thru feed/forage conversion. We castrate and pre-condition about 30-45 days before sale.

I would say castrate, but its your deal. I band all my bulls, because steers do bring better at the sale than bulls in my area.
Although, my neighbor never bands or castrates his, but he has a larger operation, and just doesnt bother with it. He tells me its not worth it to him to make 10-12 cents more.

Circle G - If you are just getting started, just sell the calves when they are 5 - 6 months old and not worry yet about casteration. You have a lot to learn yet. After you get a few sold and understand the market, the sale barn, raising calves, etc. then learn how to casterate with a knife. It is also helpful to learn how to calf tie them or to use a calf table. In Texas is it highly advisable to use a knife to reduce the risk of blood poisoning.

To casterate with a knife - push the testicles up and cut the bottom 1/2 to 2/3 of the sack off completely. the testicles will fall back out. Grab the tesicles with your fingers and pull them out some more and either scrape or break the cords by pulling them apart. Never cut the cords. Treat the cuts with idoine.

Some will advise you to give a tetnus shot which is probably good advice - I just don't do it. My vet will do it at the clinic, but he won't give the shots to his calves on his ranch, which is 2 miles from my place. The iodine kills everything for a few days. You will be amazed at how the calf really doesn't feel pain. And, the younger the calf the easier this is. I casterate mine within a week of birth.

If you prefer to use the bands, I recommend that you use 2 bands. Put 2 cherrios on the tool at the same time and before you release the bands make sure you have both testicles below the bands. It will take 4-8 weeks for the sack to fall off.

You can also search here and in the Beginners Forum to read about arguments for each method - which is what I hope this does NOT turn into. Just type in casteration or banding for the search.

good post Dusty Britches. Everyone has a certain way they like to do things, but I would say your advice is very good and easy to follow. That's the way I castrate calves.

Not to change this. I was at the vet the other day and watched them do a few calves. After they cut the sack off, they hooked a hemostat on the cord. Next they hooked the hemostat to a drill and spun them off. Man did I pucker. :shock: The vet said that there was less bleeding and healed better that way. The calf realy did not deem to mind. :shock:

novatech":ph2tzj8e said:
Not to change this. I was at the vet the other day and watched them do a few calves. After they cut the sack off, they hooked a hemostat on the cord. Next they hooked the hemostat to a drill and spun them off. Man did I pucker. :shock: The vet said that there was less bleeding and healed better that way. The calf realy did not deem to mind. :shock:

I'm glad to see that it has the same affect on someone else besides me. Usually I moan/whimper a little when I see it done.
dun

Latest posts