Case / IH 585

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
Does anybody own (or have used) a Case/IH 585 tractor (60 hp)? Just wondering about your likes/dislikes concerning the tractor's performance.

We just got a used one with 400 hrs on it. It has a bucket and we will be looking for a shredder next. I hauled round bales with it last weekend, and it seemed to worked great.

They are good reliable little tractors. They are kind of light over the rear end so the 2 wheel drive ones need ballast to keep from spinning out. Always look down to make sure the park brake is off before you move. Don't rely on the dash light to remind you. They tend to not work after a while. It is a mechanical band in the transmission that will burn up if left on, then no more park brake and the lining material can cause hydraulic unhappiness. :frowns: They can be hard starters in cold weather, but that should not be a problem for you. With only 400 hours you should have a good number of years left in it. Good Luck.

We had a 585 from 1987 to 2002. When I traded it in, in had 1800 hours. During that time, the clutch was replaced, and was needing it replaced again, the radiator sprung a leak, the steering hydraulic pump went out.
It was a good tractor but not for loader work. The clutch couldn't handle the stopping/starting. Also, it didn't have a shuttle shift, and it had a bad habit of sticking between gears. In other words, it wouldn't shift unless you rocked the tractor.
Case said that the gears were to coarse?

johndeerefarmer":3ptdkw5t said:
It was a good tractor but not for loader work. The clutch couldn't handle the stopping/starting.

:( Hope the clutch on ours holds out better. I have put about 50 hours on the tractor so far. I have pushed brush with the loader and hauled hay.

I did notice that it is hard to get into gear sometimes.

I was pulling a JD 4X4 round baler. Was making about 500 rolls per year. Between stopping to tie each roll, and hauling/feeding them the clutch couldn't take it.

Several time a year, I would take off the access plate on the bottom and blow all of the clutch material out of the housing, otherwise the clutch petal would start sticking.

Only other thing to watch out for is the front axle bolts. They will vibrate loose and fall out over time. After losing a few I finally started putting Thread locker on them. Never lost another one after that.

Latest posts