Case 830

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
I have a pretty old Case 830 with hydraulic problems. It will barely lift the bucket empty, but the tilt works on it with no problems. Moving anything with the bucket I have to really increase the RPM's and it takes forever to get high enough to go. Plus if the load is heavy enough, it will settle the bucket down and I have to stop and raise it again, I can't raise it on the go. Last winter I could barely get a half ton round bale off of the ground to move it. It is getting to be a big inconvenience. I have about average mechanical knowledge, but almost zero tractor mechanical knowledge. What do you think?

You say your tilt works no problem? Did you try switching hoses around to see if its the remotes giving you trouble? Try that, and if the tilt quits working well on the swap, that means your remotes are giving you trouble. Its probably just the female ends. If swapping hoses around doesn't change things, then I'd suspect your main lift cylinders are bypassing badly and are in need of a seal kit.

Rod

Did the problem come on it all at once or did slowly lose performance over the years?

Ill try switching the hoses and seeing if that works. I just got it last year and it was a little weak when we got it, but I just chaulked it up to being cold. Sometimes it's not as bad, but I think it's gotten worse. I'll let you know what happens. Is there a hydraulic fluid screen that could be clogged?

I have the same trouble on may 1370. Diamond, what might the female ends have to do with the problem?

When the pickup tube or hydraulic filter is plugged, you'll have slow hydraulics but they won't typically creep down like you're seeing. They'll just be slow. With a system like the 830, a bad hydraulic pump usually won't creep either. Creep is almost always caused by bad seals in the cylinders or by weeping female couplers. Often times guys will miss the weeping couplers because on a 30 series Case the couplers hang out far enough that the oil falls on the ground.

The other issue we could be seeing is a failure in the remotes (spool). The could be allowing fluid to bypass and allowing the system to creep.

Having said all that, it really wouldn't be bad idea to change out the filters just in case. I've never, ever heard of creep with plugged filters but there always is a first time. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to get the pressures checked. The 830 when new should be running around 1900 PSI. The 1370 I don't have a clue, but I suspect somewhere around 26 - 2800 PSI.

Rod

The filter would be a good idea ,but I don't think those were full flow filters anyway.It seems to me that some settling would be normal for most of these old tractors.I would try to break this system down into smaller parts1. Pressure pump 2. Pressure relief valve 3.Remote valve.then try to isolate and test each system.If you would want to give it a try I have a few ideas for this .Is it a comfort king?

larryshoat":1o1m9d76 said:
The filter would be a good idea ,but I don't think those were full flow filters anyway.It seems to me that some settling would be normal for most of these old tractors.

The filters on 30 series Case tractors are on the hydraulic pickup. As far as settling, not a chance if there are no seals bypassing somewhere in the system as its an open centre system with no pressure relief like what you're thinking. I use a 930 on 2000 lb bales and can run 10 miles down the road with a bale on the spike and not settle one little bit.

Rod

Latest posts