Case 1594

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Developed severe coolant leak it is coming from back of the block it appeared there was a plate you could remove to get to it if you take top tranny plate off..... 3 hours of work wrong you can't tractor has to be split .. however the area water is seeping from is not flat against the back half of the tractor. Before I weld it together gonna try metal putty from jb weld. The tractor isn't worth the bs to split it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_150116110.jpg
    IMG_20220212_150116110.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220212_150131322.jpg
    IMG_20220212_150131322.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
Try some K-seal. I'm not a big fan of the stuff, but it works.

Cow got a leg caught in the grille guard of our mini truck and kicked a hole in the radiator, pretty steady pee stream coming out of it. Poured a jug of that stuff in and watched the leak stop in minutes. Never plugged the heater core or had any problems.

Developed severe coolant leak it is coming from back of the block it appeared there was a plate you could remove to get to it if you take top tranny plate off..... 3 hours of work wrong you can't tractor has to be split .. however the area water is seeping from is not flat against the back half of the tractor. Before I weld it together gonna try metal putty from jb weld. The tractor isn't worth the bs to split it.
I suspect that a Welch plug has failed. Had it happen on a Ford tractor. Doubt any thing that will fix it without a split and a new plug being installed.

I suspect that a Welch plug has failed. Had it happen on a Ford tractor. Doubt any thing that will fix it without a split and a new plug being installed.
I know I can weld it and when sell it it will be someone else's problem. I will let y'all know

You have reminded be why I hate buying anything used. Get it home and learn some hack job has welded a soft plug in a block because he is too lazy to fix it right.
I tell people who buy it of things I do that's not the norm... I don't do it and try to get over on someone.. besides I am not too lazy I'm too busy.. if I pay to have it fixed it's more than I paid for the tractor to start.

If the tractor is an open station with a loader in the 3+ hours you spent tearing the trans apart you could have it split apart and new plug installed. Then 3-4 hours and it would be back together fixed right.

If a cab then add a couple extra hours to the job.

If your too busy to fix it correctly then you will surely be too busy to half a$$ "fix" it now and then still have to correctly fix it again next week if it fails.

If the tractor is an open station with a loader in the 3+ hours you spent tearing the trans apart you could have it split apart and new plug installed. Then 3-4 hours and it would be back together fixed right.

If a cab then add a couple extra hours to the job.

If your too busy to fix it correctly then you will surely be too busy to half a$$ "fix" it now and then still have to correctly fix it again next week if it fails.
Lol I am too busy my son's putting it back together.. I don't have time as said.. he doesn't have the know how on splitting the tractor. I do however have 5-10 mins to half azz fix it and run it to fail though. Since this is not a business piece of equipment and one of many tractors I have it's not a priority and I'll deal with it as I see fit. I was always told if not part of the solution your part of the problem... So I will pay you $500 to come fix it correctly since my half azz fixes disturb you. Deal?

Haha. Like I said you are whats wrong with used equipment sales. Guys bring me their equipment all the time they bought only to find out some backyard hack has it held together with bubble gum and shoe string. I'll stick to working on equipment for myself and customers who are willing to pay for a proper repair job and be able to stand behind my work and take pride in it.

Best of luck welding a soft plug into an engine block...

The gap you see on right is the motor block the left is the back half of the tractor where transmission housing is.
Oh, I see. So the coolant is leaking out of a frost plug on the back of the engine and the migrating out that gap?
It sure seems strange to have a frost plug on the back of the engine.

You're exactly right it's worse design ever.
It probably is. But I had to change a signal light on my daughter's Jeep Patriot a couple of days ago. Turns out the first step is to jack it up and remove the wheel.Less time than splitting a tractor but still stupid.

Edit: don't tell ChevyTahoe but they gave me the wrong bulb at the store, so I had to use my knife and shave the plastic lineup bump thingys off so it would fit in the socket. I wasn't going to drive two hours for another bulb.

Last edited:
Shaving a light is one thing. Guy could buy a new bulb and nobody would be the wiser.

Welding to an engine block, transmission housing over top of a leaking frost plug... thats a whole nother ball of hack azz.

Lots of engines have a freeze plug in the back of the block or head. Most ford tractors do, many case tractors as well. Heck the holy cummins 5.9/6.7 have a rear freeze plug.

Shaving a light is one thing. Guy could buy a new bulb and nobody would be the wiser.

Welding to an engine block, transmission housing over top of a leaking frost plug... thats a whole nother ball of hack azz.

Lots of engines have a freeze plug in the back of the block or head. Most ford tractors do, many case tractors as well. Heck the holy cummins 5.9/6.7 have a rear freeze plug.
I was just pulling your chain 🙃

Lol Chevy just remember... Freedom.... Freedom to mask or not... Vaccinate or not.... Hack or not...

Oh, I see. So the coolant is leaking out of a frost plug on the back of the engine and the migrating out that gap?
It sure seems strange to have a frost plug on the back of the engine.
The reason for frost plugs /freeze plugs is to remove the sand casting plug from the inside of the engine. Most plugs fail from rusting and not freezing. A block can still crack from freezing even with frost/freeze plugs installed.

Latest posts