carcass EPDs

Help Support CattleToday:

comparing chicken growers to ranchers is like comparing apples to oranges. the chicken growers have no choice in the genetics of their chickens. it all comes from the company headquarters whom they have a contract with. they are sent baby chicks & whether they're out of rooster A & hen B or rooster C & hen B, they don't know or care. if the cattle industry was aligned like the poultry industry then maybe your argument would fly.

me thinks some folks are so resistant to technology & innovation i'm surprised they own a computer.

ollie, let's forget about carcass info on this post & look at the epd subject. you didn't answer me about two-year old bulls & milk. yes, i agree if you're looking for an older bull, seeing his daughters in production is one of the best indicators of milk production. many, many bulls are sold at 18 months or two years and have no daughters in production. many of these bulls are also sold through sales where buyers do not get to see his dam or sisters. in this case, w/o any other info, isn't an epd better than nothing?

Txag,
Yes I would put more stock in epd's than absolutely nothing. If I was going to buy a 2 yr old from you I would much rather ask you which bull would be the best on my South Devon cows for example. If they needed more milk I would give you the information that I know such as I saw Embracer 8e as a young bull and he certainly was nice but not that femine, since then I have seen some very femine cows with large well placed udders. His numbers are good but I run cows on a large West Texas ranch with lots of walking. Will the cows hold up or should I consider another sires sons.Too many times I've seen people make selections at sales ( and you have too) that was only (ONLY) based on epd's and they walked confidently into as wreck.epd's have superceded personal knowledge, measurements,personal experience, ect.It wont work.Your epd,s are based on measurements why dont you then give credence to the primal source data that you give to the secondary source data? If you need more information then get more information
Ollie

i don't think anyone on this board has ever said to base a decision solely on epd's. in fact, i believe we've all stated that they're just a tool to use in addition to visual and performance data. as for buying wrecks at sales, i would bet there have been more disappointments by the folks that buy the biggest, fattest, best looking bull at the sale only to find out when they get home that they can't afford to feed him like he's accustomed to and he's too fat to cover the ground to cover the cows. oh, & yes, he may also have the biggest rib-eye data as well. sometimes funny what feed can do.

I try to understandsEPD's but really don't care much of them they just give an idea of what you can expect but they aren't 100% accurate.

Boiler":3uj7l2nh said:
:?:

As I evaluate carcass EPDs I often wonder what is too much of a good thing (i.e. too big of ribeye, too little fat). I tend to key on higher marbling scores since I have plenty of Continental influence in my herd and positive % of retail product.

Any thoughts out there on carcass EPDs?