Next time, I won't send cutting instructions w the carcass

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Just picked up our half of the Big Mammer Jammer cow we slaughtered a couple weeks. I sent the cutting instructions along with her: Roasts, burger, cube steaks -- Period. Cuz I figured she probably wasn't going to be fabulous beef. Well, Steve said she had really nice marbeling, and looked really good, and figured she'd be pretty good eating, BUT he had my instructions! Next time, I'll wait till he's actually ready to cut if I slaughter an older critter again.

Kathie in Thorp":1q5ehnwt said:
Just picked up our half of the Big Mammer Jammer cow we slaughtered a couple weeks. I sent the cutting instructions along with her: Roasts, burger, cube steaks -- Period. Cuz I figured she probably wasn't going to be fabulous beef. Well, Steve said she had really nice marbeling, and looked really good, and figured she'd be pretty good eating, BUT he had my instructions! Next time, I'll wait till he's actually ready to cut if I slaughter an older critter again.
What we do is let it hang for a couple of weeks then cut a couple of ribeyes and try them. If it's tender we process normally, otherwise we grind it and donate a lot of burger to the local womens/kids shelter.

dun":q25g25aj said:
Kathie in Thorp":q25g25aj said:
What we do is let it hang for a couple of weeks then cut a couple of ribeyes and try them. If it's tender we process normally, otherwise we grind it and donate a lot of burger to the local womens/kids shelter.

Good 'thinkin. We go through a lot of burger; hubby would rather eat a big, done-to-death burger than a nice steak. He better be liking it a lot for the next year!!

hooknline":1gjfy9za said:
Steve mighta just done you a favor

I don't know, Hook. Had I known . . . I might've done something different. She was the first British White we've slaughtered. Have a BW steer that will go soon, and I'm anxious to see how he stacks up to the BA steer that will go in at the same time. They both look really good right now. Of course, we had no BW bull calves born this year, so BA steers are back on the list for next year.

For what cull prices are now I would have shipped her and put that money towards a yearling grain finished or 2 year old grass finished .

Next time . :tiphat:

hillsdown":1vfml89r said:
For what cull prices are now I would have shipped her and put that money towards a yearling grain finished or 2 year old grass finished .

Next time . :tiphat:

Thought about that H.D. I had more buyers for my 3 steers than I had steers for, and we had planned on keeping half of the BW steer. Well, then we decided not to winter that goofy cow over, so I sold my steer-half. BUT, this wasn't all bad. A co-worker bought the other half of that cow; had it processed same way we did our half, and paid us $2/lb. on the rail for her just over 450 lbs. side. So I got $907 out of her, plus a freezer full for us.

Latest posts