Car Broken Into - Wife's Purse Stolen

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
Well, last night we were minding our own business at a junior high football game. Walked outside the stadium to find that my wife's car had been broken into. Window smashed and purse gone. Spent the evening canceling cards. The punks had already scanned her Visa at a gas station. At least one other car was broken into and a purse was missing from that one as well. This all happened within about 200 feet of 2 parked police cars.

REALLY ticks me off.

I hate that for you both. I had my wallet stolen at Home Depot once. I had taken it out of my purse, paid for the stuff and then later when I went to get gas, no wallet. I was with the wife of one of my ex's "friends" and I have forever thought she stole it. It had three hundred dollars in cash and my credit cards. Cards were never used. I canceled them but it was the next morning. Nightmare. I take my purse with me everywhere. If I don't for some reason, I hide it so it can't be seen. Had to have been kids. I have to lock everything up at school. You can't leave your classroom for five minutes unlocked without someone getting in there.

That is pretty brave of them busting the window. Like Lammie said, its not really the money but all the trouble to cancel cards and in your case get the window fixed. I hope they catch the punks. If they do catch them, I can offer some suggestions on what to do to the punks if need any.

Jogeephus":nmf3e1ql said:
That is pretty brave of them busting the window. Like Lammie said, its not really the money but all the trouble to cancel cards and in your case get the window fixed. I hope they catch the punks. If they do catch them, I can offer some suggestions on what to do to the punks if need any.

Jogee, I came up with lots of creative ideas for the knotheads last night, but it might be fun to brainstorm those with you. :) I doubt we will ever have a chance to implement the ideas though.

The good news is my wife only had about $12 in cash in her purse. We're trying to think through all the other things that might have been in there. Keys, prescription glasses, bible, 1 credit card that we canceled. I bet they were very disappointed as they went through the purse. Lots of trouble and risk for not much return. I asked the credit card company for the address of the gas station where they scanned the card, but they only had the city and state last night, not the address. I was hoping they may have thrown the purse in the trash at the gas station. But no luck on that lead.

My mom had her purse stolen while she was at work. A new cleaning lady was seen running from the business with her purse. They guys she worked with tried to catch her, but she got into a car and they tore out of there.
She had to cancel all of her cards, change the locks to the house and to her car.

If you want to leave your pocketbook or anything of value in a visible position in your car, you should leave the doors unlocked. That way maybe your glass won't get broke.

ga. prime":e8w3uhfs said:
If you want to leave your pocketbook or anything of value in a visible position in your car, you should leave the doors unlocked. That way maybe your glass won't get broke.

Would you mind visiting with my wife on this issue?

When I was working in Arlington several years back, my boss had her purse in her office and someone just walked in, took it, and walked out. Her office was right by the door. The woman who took it started writing checks and she wrote checks everywhere before Tracie could put a stop to it. Thing is, she was using Tracie's DL for identification and the lady who had stolen the purse was black. Tracie was white. Fools everywhere took the checks. I mean, she was dark skinned black person, too. It was amazing. Bought hundreds of dollars of fancy underwear at one store.

She was identified but never prosecuted. The police knew who she was and nothing happened to her.

Lammie":2v6p41xu said:
When I was working in Arlington several years back, my boss had her purse in her office and someone just walked in, took it, and walked out. Her office was right by the door. The woman who took it started writing checks and she wrote checks everywhere before Tracie could put a stop to it. Thing is, she was using Tracie's DL for identification and the lady who had stolen the purse was black. Tracie was white. Fools everywhere took the checks. I mean, she was dark skinned black person, too. It was amazing. Bought hundreds of dollars of fancy underwear at one store.

She was identified but never prosecuted. The police knew who she was and nothing happened to her.

We went to the bank today. There were only 2 checks left in the checkbook. The only way to prevent what you describe is to close out the accounts and reopen new ones, which would be a nightmare with our automatic payment and automatic deductions. We won't be liable for fraudulent charges as long as we fill out an affadavit and have a police report, and the credit union would have the money back in our account within 3 days. I pressed on this issue and asked if someone bought a 4 wheeler using my checking account, if we would not be liable. They said not. Max out of pocket would be $20 per check for stop payment. We did put a code on our account that requires that we give a code word for any banking transaction. We opted not to close the accounts. I'm still nervous - waiting for the other shoe to drop... As of today, no activity in any of our accounts.

Probably a bunch of punk kids. Maybe they tossed the purse in a trash can and it is buried by now. Hope it works out well.

skyline":15re3ezw said:
We went to the bank today. There were only 2 checks left in the checkbook. The only way to prevent what you describe is to close out the accounts and reopen new ones, which would be a nightmare with our automatic payment and automatic deductions. We won't be liable for fraudulent charges as long as we fill out an affadavit and have a police report, and the credit union would have the money back in our account within 3 days. I pressed on this issue and asked if someone bought a 4 wheeler using my checking account, if we would not be liable. They said not. Max out of pocket would be $20 per check for stop payment. We did put a code on our account that requires that we give a code word for any banking transaction. We opted not to close the accounts. I'm still nervous - waiting for the other shoe to drop... As of today, no activity in any of our accounts.

Those automatic payments are convenient but I don't use them if I can help it. I want to control when someone gets paid and how much and I want to see the bill before it happens. I do use the direct deposit for the monthly checks that would come in the mail. Have had some get lost and that creats a hastle to have them replaced and I hate having to go to the bank.

ga. prime":3qaklmew said:

Good post. You might even hide the good stuff and it still would not be a good idea.

skyline":3iip9y8p said:
ga. prime":3iip9y8p said:

Would you mind visiting with my wife on this issue?

I had to visit with my wife on this same issue. She wouldn't listen at all. She use to leave it in the back seat of the car at home. After it got took and we went through all the pain, I didn't have to say anything else.

I believe you are at the same point.

Life is full of trash. Sometimes you can pick it up and recycle it. Other times it just needs to be burned.

skyline":bbdw740e said:
Jogeephus":bbdw740e said:

Jogee, I came up with lots of creative ideas for the knotheads last night, but it might be fun to brainstorm those with you. :) I doubt we will ever have a chance to implement the ideas though.

The good news is my wife only had about $12 in cash in her purse. We're trying to think through all the other things that might have been in there. Keys, prescription glasses, bible, 1 credit card that we canceled. I bet they were very disappointed as they went through the purse. Lots of trouble and risk for not much return. I asked the credit card company for the address of the gas station where they scanned the card, but they only had the city and state last night, not the address. I was hoping they may have thrown the purse in the trash at the gas station. But no luck on that lead.

I hate to hear about your trouble skyline, I know it's a real hassle, and if you're like me you hate taking time to straighten that kind of thing out . Maybe they'll find that Bible and read it .

Larry

1982vett":10t8wp3s said:
skyline":10t8wp3s said:

Those automatic payments are convenient but I don't use them if I can help it. I want to control when someone gets paid and how much and I want to see the bill before it happens. I do use the direct deposit for the monthly checks that would come in the mail. Have had some get lost and that creats a hastle to have them replaced and I hate having to go to the bank.

I used to have the mortgage to my other house deducted twice a month. Thing was, they took the money out when they darn well felt like it, and sometimes, as a single parent, that turned into a sticky situation a couple of times. The only thing I have automatically deducted now is my life insurance. And I am about to cancel that. Whole life, knee jerk reaction, don't get me started... I dislike going to the bank as well. Both our checks are automatically deposited. At Clayton, you can't do it any other way. At Oak Creek, you could get your check on a debit card kinda thing if you didn't have a checking account. That way, they could employ more Mexicans.

I know, Mexicans taking jobs away. Really folks, it is hard to get white folks to work at a mobile home plant. Steve can't seem to find any worth hiring. But the checking account thing prevents a lot of folks from getting on there and I think that's a good thing.

Sorry about hijacking your thread, Skyline.

No problem Lammie - good post.

We auto deposit our income, but my auto deductions are set up through the on-line bill payment system, so I control when they are sent. You can set them up to be automatically sent on a set day of the month. And I can stop it or change it. I really enjoy using the on-line bill payment system. Saves me a lot of time, but it took a lot of work to get it set up like I want it. I would hate to have to start over.

And Larry - 10-4 on the bible comment. That was one of the first thing my sweet wife said. And she's been praying for the knuckleheads ever since it happened. I probably should pray for their safety if I ever find out who did it... :D

I pay some bills online, but I only have one automatic deduction. At 42 cents for a stamp, with as many bills as I pay, (now I am handling my parent's accounts), it makes sense to pay as many bills online or on the phone as you can.

Latest posts