Can't decide on these heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Both of these heifers are around 10 months old. My original intent was to keep them but I have been made an offer from a customer that is hard to pass up. Both are registered, average EPD profiles. Both are 75% Balancers. Pictures are not the best but I think both calves are pretty good. Sell or keep? I'm not understocked but I am not overstocked either. I hate these decisions :cry:

Since you posted the pictures and asked, I really like the second heifer. The first one not so much. You might think about selling them and using the money to buy a grown cow.

Hoss, I think you answered your own questions when you stated a customer offered you something that is hard to pass up! You could always bring them my way!

Good looking heifers!!

Second one looks thicker. Hard to tell much off of one picture, but if they want a show heifer #2 is probably the better choice for them.........
Just sayin.

Let the first walk even though see might thicken up, keep the second most of the work is already started.

Here is a shot of the first heifer from the front. She is not as thick as the 2nd heifer but she is not slab-sided either. If I don't sell her now she will probably be A.I.'d this fall and sold bred. Her momma is on the hotter side of the disposition spectrum in comparison to the rest of my herd. She passes that along to her female offspring but not the bulls. Go figure that one out. All of her heifer calves have all been high strung but the bull calves pretty much ultra laid back.

You have a chance to sell a heifer that you pretty much know is or could be a disposition problem,easy choice. I would keep the #2 for sure. Breed her right and you could have a bull making machine on your hands.

3waycross":sds8jtol said:
You have a chance to sell a heifer that you pretty much know is or could be a disposition problem,easy choice. I would keep the #2 for sure. Breed her right and you could have a bull making machine on your hands.

Probably best. I have a bred heifer, full sister to the 595 heifer in the pic, that I am selling too. Maybe I'll make him a package deal. He can take both sisters. My luck as it goes......yesterday their momma calved again....yep another heifer. Now I'll have another high headed girl in the pasture. I was hoping for another bull. Her last bull calf was out of Carolina 5423P (a Right Time Balancer bull) and he turned out to be a really good herd bull for one of my customers.

hoss ill tell you what i do when im in your shoes.i sell the heifer calves.then take the money and go buy a bred cow or pair.right im only keeping 1 reg heifer this year as she is smooth polled and new bloodlines for my herd.

The first heifer looks a lot thicker in the second picture.
I too would "sell based on disposition." (If I were to keep one and sell the other.)

Nice heifers. I would sell them, hold the cash until a deal comes along, especially since youre not in a pickle either way. Poor temperament definitely takes the ride.

Latest posts