cant catch him..dangit

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":2yaq1318 said:
Gary.jpg
[/url][/img]

No wonder they run from you, do you do that to all your calves? Congrats on penning him up. :clap:

i was trying to git that one on a huge bag i had milked down. thats mhis momma tied to a psot in front of us...

loading today for arcadia,,,pouring thunderstorms......long as he dont go out the top of the chute ill be ok..hes gonna go crazier than a spraayed roach when that trlr git up to the headcatch :hide:

dieselbeef":211u5vey said:
well it sure as he$$ wont be shootin him....ill catch him..i just think that thats a stupid response to a real problem...

yeah hes a pita but he wont beat me. he'll end up in the trlr and make someone some good steaks.

maybe someone with better faciltys..as for becoming someone elses problem at the barn i guess that is the chance ya take when ya buy an unknown. its happened to all of us.

You're just pawning your problem off on someone else. Buyers remember where they got the problems from, and it could hurt you in the long run. I would just haul him to the processor and be glad to have a little beef from a problem.

You dont think that buyers will be able to see how high string he is when he runs thru the ring? I bet they do see it. And then it's on them to decide to buy or not. And he will bring exactly what he's worth

hooknline":ej65n2u2 said:
You dont think that buyers will be able to see how high string he is when he runs thru the ring? I bet they do see it. And then it's on them to decide to buy or not. And he will bring exactly what he's worth
Hook, they'll probably figure out how flighty he is when he clears the sale pen and joins the buyers in the stands. :) Seriously, Gary, glad you're rid of the problem, even if he fetches 83 cents total.

He should bring 1.50lb. or more. You can buy alot of dinners for what that steer will bring. And the sale barn or the buyers
won't care how wild he was in the least.

You'll do fine at the sale, but I bet it would really help you improve your penning ability if you let the calf out and catch him up again, practice makes perfect!

As far as sale barns go it sounds like different area barn may run just slightly different. Here I think it's more of a buyer beware. Of course the stock yard could care less, the have the facilities and cow hands to handle anything. We have markings (chalk ) for bred cows, slaughter cows and mean animals. As far as calves go, they will say it's a heifer, bull or steer and the rest is up to the buyer. My last thought is anyone who sells at a barn is not bringing there cream of the crop, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. Sell the calf, cash the check and smile. :nod:

Alan

highgrit":35wyumvp said:
He should bring 1.50lb. or more. You can buy alot of dinners for what that steer will bring. And the sale barn or the buyers
won't care how wild he was in the least.
Till I got on here with the liberal "go green save a life crew", I never herd of not selling an animal at the barn just cause they're wild.

Alan":akmjc0or said:
My last thought is anyone who sells at a barn is not bringing there cream of the crop
So wrong. Hundreds, probably thousands of people sell everything they produce at the sale barn.

ga.prime":tzqvt83m said:
Alan":tzqvt83m said:
My last thought is anyone who sells at a barn is not bringing there cream of the crop
So wrong. Hundreds, probably thousands of people sell everything they produce at the sale barn.

Okay, after reading my last post I will admit the word " anyone" was too broad of a word to use, should have been "a lot" or maybe even "most". Maybe in a drought stricken area you can pick up the type of calves or cows you are looking for to improve your herd at the sale barn, maybe here "a lot" of folks can buy replacement calves or cows,to improve their herd, but it probably speaks volumes about their herd. I'm not talking about putting a few hundred pounds on calves and dumping them back at the sale barn. I'm saying there is better places to buy quality cows or replacements than a sale barn, it's buyer beware. Things may be different in Georgia than NW Oregon. At the sale barn, auction yard, I see some great looking steers, but very few heifers and cows that I would bring home. But then again we haven't been hit with any herd reducing situations in our area other than great high prices..... But again this is my area I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country.

Alan

So Alan what are the ranchers doing with their yearling heifers?? Over here we have about 50-50 ratio bulls to heifer calves. And I sure don't cull 1/2 my herd every year. And the few I sell private tready, are all steers. I sell plenty of heifers I would of liked to kept.

well hes gone. gonna go hang out in the mrkt today since its pouring and i cant work outside.

sometimes i wonder if some of the people posting on here evn have cattle....or ever been to the salebarn......im a very small producer and i swear i couldnt do biz like some of these people say they do...

last week one like him at 325lbs brought 1.85

At least you guys got out from under the rain. Should boost turnout at the barn a bit.

Buyers buying for feedlots don't worry so much about the disposition. They have the facilities to handle that I would think. They discount them some in our markets but they buy them. Those calves hit the feed or starve. I think most hit the feed or else the buyers wouldn't buy them. Most folks at the market won't bid on wild calves so I never worry about sending a wild one back to farm. I do warn the guys that off load at the barn if one is wild though and I do hang out when I sell a wild one and I have been known to warn folks buying to take back to the farm but ultimately it is buyer beware at our barns.

Congrats on getting him penned and hope he sells well or sold well

highgrit":1q7el0ql said:
So Alan what are the ranchers doing with their yearling heifers?? Over here we have about 50-50 ratio bulls to heifer calves. And I sure don't cull 1/2 my herd every year. And the few I sell private tready, are all steers. I sell plenty of heifers I would of liked to kept.

Remember, I said "cream of the crop". Pretty much the same as you, private treaty. But plenty cattle going through the sale barn, lots of burnt out holstien cows. If I'm shopping for a replacement heifer or two the sale barn is the last place I'll go. I'll find what I like private treaty. But like I said I don't know how things are in other parts of the country. An example of this is as a younger guy I had a horse that did pretty good in the shows in the NW and Western Cananda. Decided to take her to OK for the world show, I felt pretty good when I got down there, until I saw some of the horses from TX and OK. Their quality of stock was far better than what I had seen in my area. I'm not saying your part of the country has better stock, just saying I don't know how you guys do it and not trying to guess. I will point out I'm a seed stock hobby guy, trying to look at it from a commercial point of view without my seed stock opinion comming into play.

375 lbs...1.72/lb...646$....less comms/fees netted me 623$. i can live wit dat...

some nice ones goin thru the barn today...i shouldve been buyin

mine was the first one in the ring so i might have brought a bit more but last weeks 325 lber went for 1.80/lb

good enough

Can't believe you didn't shoot it. I was wondering did it jump out of the ring?? :lol2: Nice little check.