Canning deer meat?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Years ago someone gave us a couple cans of deer meat. Wanting to try it and found different instructions for it. Some say to precook and others not. anyone else done it before and care to offer their method?

tom4018":19ogccqj said:
Years ago someone gave us a couple cans of deer meat. Wanting to try it and found different instructions for it. Some say to precook and others not. anyone else done it before and care to offer their method?
All meat should be cooked and canned in a pressure cooker, I think at 12 lb pressure.

One set of instructions said to put in the can raw then an hour and a half in the pressure cooker. Other set said to boil or otherwise cook meat before putting it in the can, then pressure cook. So which one?

tom4018":1kuavnpu said:
One set of instructions said to put in the can raw then an hour and a half in the pressure cooker. Other set said to boil or otherwise cook meat before putting it in the can, then pressure cook. So which one?
Take your choice.. Six of one or 1/2 Doz. of the other. Just be sure that it is pressure cooked at recommended pressure and pressure canned for the recommended amountt of time.

Just finished canning a whole deer. Only use the very best (excluding the straps) cuts. When you debone, cut away any fat and gristle, and cut into bite size chunks. That should leave you with exactly 6 quarts or 12 to 13 pints. Pack the chunks tightly into your jars, leave only enough headroom so that the threads at the top of the jar are exposed. Add 1 teaspoonfull of canning salt for quarts, half for pints. Put on your lids only 2 finger tight. Pressure can for 1 hour and 10 minutes with a 10 pressure. I only have the 15 lb pressure weight so I only process for 1 hour even. Remove your canner from the burner and allow to cool slowly. When the pressure is relieved from the canner, remove jars and set out to cool. Be sure to clean all jars and lids thouroughly before beginning. You will be delighted with end result. I take a pint to work with me. I'll also bring a little baggie full of flour. I add the flour to the natural juices and make a gravy to add. The meat in the jar is fully cooked and safe so all you have to do is nuke it for lunch. Good stuff.

Canning is a lost art, I will venture to say that any body (City Slickers) under 30-40 years old have no idea what you are talking about. Little do they know that every jar of pickles ect. are almost made the same way. I learned from my parents to can, make pickles, jelly, cure meat, sausage, ect. My kids dont want to hear about it much less learn. Dont even ask them to eat wild game. Life goes on i guess :) :)