Canned deer meat

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I saw a guy with some deer meat today he had canned in mason jars. There's no wild game I care to eat. I remember my grandmother canning meat. I hadn't thought about it in years till today. This stuff looked particularly repulsive. I could probably stick with a diet if I kept a quart jar of this stuff around. I would just look at it 5 minutes before each meal. Anybody else on here ever partake of this delacassy. I think his plan was to eat it straight from the jar. I made him spare me the details.

I've never seen any canned meat that looked appetizing. And I've seen alot of canned meat. My paternal grandparents lived without electricity until about 1968. Granny still continued to live the way they always had. They were still carrying spring water and cooking on a wood cook stove until 2003. They died in 2008/2010. Granddad would NOT shyt in the house. Said that was messed up :lol2: . But to answer your question, it looks like shyt (I don't care who you are), but if it's done right, and prepared right, it's just fine. Not great. Kinda like canned veggies; much better fresh, or cooked from fresh. My wife pressure cooks and cans yard bird, and shes done some wild game too. Trick is, DON'T look at it till it's out of the jar and already sizzling in the pan.

Wonderful quick supper. Warm with cornstarch and make gravy, pour over mashed taters. Good stuff. Cube, tendons and all( become tender when cooked, one beef bullion cube per pint, 40 minutes at 25 lb of pressure cooker. Year supply of canned deer.

A friend canned it a lot, what I had was good. Made a pretty good barbeque.

I can quite a bit of it every year, you a are correct about it's appearance...not appetizing! It is great for quick meals as circlebllc said.

I would advise AGAINST canning a big ol' buck in rut though. Mom did that one year, the smell and taste was HIDEOUS!! The dogs enjoyed the heck out of it though.

Latest posts