Cancer?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen several like this in the past six months. Starts out as an abcess and then progresses to hard scarlike lump. If you catch it early, cut it and squeeze it. Follow up with antibiotic. Don't get the stuff on you, it's bad news. The ones I've seen with it have healed up. Squeezing the nasty out made it heal faster, but don't look for immediate results.

We had an OLD cow that had that a few months ago. The vet lanced it and she got antibiotics for a few days. The cow is fine now, it went down completely in about two weeks. Still don't know exactly what caused it though. Hope your cow does well.

Lazy M

Before cutting, check inside her mouth between jaw & cheek for injury or just a big wad of feed. Have had a couple of heifers come up with what looks like a knot on their jaw. Turned out to be a wad of grass/hay. Seemed they had some type of nerve injury & lost feeling on that side of face. Over a few months it cleared up. If no wad of feed, I would make an incision on the lower part of the knot, squeeze out the puss & flush with peroxide. Fill syringe, without needle, with peroxide & squirt into incision. Keep flushing until drainage is clear. Also give long acting antibiotic such as LA 200, Nuflor or Baytril. Repeat antibiotic & peroxide flush in 3-4 days. Have had good results with this method on several abcesses.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Lazy M,

Just a quick note:

I think the reason your search didn't return much was the fact that you keep referring to "lump or lumpy jaw" as "lumby jaw".

Thought maybe you might get better results if you had the proper layman's term for it.

Take care.

Ps. Hope your cow gets better...any chance of getting a vet to check her out?

CattleAnnie":2jxkborn said:
Lazy M,

Just a quick note:

I think the reason your search didn't return much was the fact that you keep referring to "lump or lumpy jaw" as "lumby jaw".

Thought maybe you might get better results if you had the proper layman's term for it.

Take care.

Ps. Hope your cow gets better...any chance of getting a vet to check her out?

thanks for the comments. but no i found alot about lumpy jaw at the get go. i dont remeber saying i could'nt find anything. i just miss spelled in this thread. thanks though
as far as a vet goes wellllll see in my area there is only 2 big animal vets. 1 is a coke head, the other has a weakness for them horses. i cant get him out here for him going working on horses. i called the coke head yesterday morning he said he was on his way and i'm still waiting. this is why my wife is in vet school, we're kinda thinking she'll corner the market around here.
now i know what comes next. why dont she go out there to see this animal. she's expecting to deliver in 4 weeks so i wont let her go in the field. but she has been out there to see about the lady from the fence line.from my pics,and what she can see she thinks it an abcess. i wont let her near any animals. all i need is to have a cow butt her or even if there is a bateria in the field or on this lady i sure dont want to risk our unborn son. i know "i'm crazy or even stupid" but i have my reasons and thats just the way its going to be.

thanks again guys for yall's advice. i checked yesterday in her mouth i could'nt see anything, but not saying theres nothing there. she's alittle fightsty.

D.R. Cattle you said dont get the "stuff" on me. is it catchie?

Alright guys its looking like its just on me now. does anybody have any advice on how to cut this thing. i dont reckon i'm gong to get any help. i've given sq and intermuscular injection but i've never cut anything. one thing to note unless someone knows how to get some medicine for a local or to knock her out shes going to be wide awake. i'm plaining on tying her head to a post on the oppisite side of her head in an attempt to hold it still.
here is a hard question for me to answer. does anybody think i should just wait and see if it bust on its owne. why i ask is she should calve at any time, i dont want to stress her out any more than needed. the knot does'nt seem to be bothering her.

TheLazyM":2bqwkfeo said:
Alright guys its looking like its just on me now. does anybody have any advice on how to cut this thing. i dont reckon i'm gong to get any help. i've given sq and intermuscular injection but i've never cut anything. one thing to note unless someone knows how to get some medicine for a local or to knock her out shes going to be wide awake. i'm plaining on tying her head to a post on the oppisite side of her head in an attempt to hold it still.
here is a hard question for me to answer. does anybody think i should just wait and see if it bust on its owne. why i ask is she should calve at any time, i dont want to stress her out any more than needed. the knot does'nt seem to be bothering her.

Weather to leave her or cut it open is up to you. We rarely cut them open, unless they are really big or she is going downhill (although I don't really think it helps anyway). If you leave it there is a possibility that it will get bigger and leave a large lump of scar tissue. I would likely leave her alone until after she calved unless it was causing a problem.

Now to cut it open, I would restrain her exactly as you say. Feel around on the lump for a soft spot, and if there isn't one, you may as well just leave it since you won't get much out of it anyways. If there is a soft spot, take a scalpel, and make a decent sized incision into that spot (which hopefully is on the bottom side). Then squeeze all the gunk out, and useing a syringe (without a needle) flush it out with diluted iodine. I wouldn't worry about anasthetic, and this shouldn't take too long.

randiliana":33l1yw1t said:
Weather to leave her or cut it open is up to you. We rarely cut them open, unless they are really big or she is going downhill (although I don't really think it helps anyway). If you leave it there is a possibility that it will get bigger and leave a large lump of scar tissue. I would likely leave her alone until after she calved unless it was causing a problem.

Now to cut it open, I would restrain her exactly as you say. Feel around on the lump for a soft spot, and if there isn't one, you may as well just leave it since you won't get much out of it anyways. If there is a soft spot, take a scalpel, and make a decent sized incision into that spot (which hopefully is on the bottom side). Then squeeze all the gunk out, and useing a syringe (without a needle) flush it out with diluted iodine. I wouldn't worry about anasthetic, and this shouldn't take too long.

thanks for the advice. what is concerded "big" i think its big. but then there is no soft spot so i guess your saying to leave it alone.
if i leave it what is worst case secnerio?

An update: guys it was indeed an abbcess i got it cut and its going down and looking much much better. thanks guys for allk yals support.

Latest posts