CANCELLED - CANCELLED - We Got tired of hearing that, so

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
so, we're having our own shows for the juniors. All the kids have put a lot of time, effort and money into beef projects. ALL their shows have been cancelled. All 4-H has been cancelled.
Our 4-H family we sponsor was here on the farm working with their projects and my nephew got another cancellation on his phone. He got really upset and said "that's it - we are going to have a show for these kids".
He posted on FB, said we were willing to open our farm up for a junior show - who was interested? In about 8 days, we now have 3 farms hosting a show with dates set and entry forms & rules & reg. in place. Getting great support in the way of donations, prizes, photography, labor, etc. And the entries are coming in.
Such a great group of people to work with. Love our agriculture community.

That's great of you to do.

Unfortunately they cancelled our county show this summer. My Daughter was so disappointed. We have been working the calves regularly since late February.

Jeanne - it is people like YOU that make this world a better place.

I truly hope it all goes well and that everyone has a great time.

Well done!

Best to all,

Bez

Hi Bez - great to hear from you!
I have run many shows in the past. I started our Junior Fall Festival about 28 years ago, ran it like our Simmental Regional shows - breed show, steer show, showmanship, written quizzes, judging contest, identification tests, public speaking, team fitting. Kids could show up without an animal and still be able to compete in the "challenge contests". These shows will be just breed, steer & showmanship. After 25 years, I retired from the Junior Program. The show is still very successful. They had 200 head of cattle and 110 kids last year.
If your state is shutting all the shows down - do it yourself. Have it on your farm. These are not going to be fancy. 1 day shows. Some will be "show off your trailer". No fitting. Limited water, space & electricity. Spot clean out of a bucket. Some will bring generators and will be expected to share. Just a chance for the kids to utilize all the work they have been doing. We have T-Shirts sponsored for all the kids. We have chairs sponsored for the 3 Supreme winners. I have tons of plaques that I am going to have re-plated to give away. If you make up your mind to do it. IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!

Great job Jeanne!! It's time we get things going. This fiasco has gone on too long.

We need to quit sacrificing this countries children because of our own fears, they are the least vulnerable in this case.
Glad you're doing something about it. I think our county is going to be doing something for the 4-H "rain or shine" per say.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
The Tennessee State Fair has just been cancelled for the first time in 150 years. It normally runs in September.

I guess if we had showed up to loot and riot they'd have let us have our fair.

Setup some concession stands, and just claim you're looting some corn dogs.

sim.-ang.king said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
The Tennessee State Fair has just been cancelled for the first time in 150 years. It normally runs in September.

I guess if we had showed up to loot and riot they'd have let us have our fair.

Setup some concession stands, and just claim you're looting some corn dogs.

Not a bad idea at all. I loves me some Korn Dawgs.

Many historical events across the country have been canceled...damn shame IMO and especially given the free pass to so called protestors. :frowns:

Our first show was this past Saturday. We had 52 entries, 36 kids. (I did all the paper work/entries - donations).
Judge volunteered service. 3 Supreme (Female, Showmanship & Steer) were donated
T-Shirts for each kid, sponsore covered costs.
Plaques & trophies - refurbished old ones - trophy shop donated their labor.
Ring bedding - sponsored
And LOTS of donations - gave about $2000 CASH to the kids. Every kid got at least $5 (last place).
Everyone was sooooo happy. Worked out awesome. Lots brought fans, mats & generators - shared. No fitting. Just spot washed & blown out.
Another one set for 7-12 up in Erie County - I don't have any work to do on that one.
Next one is the one we are sponsoring, but being hosted at a different farm. It is set for 7-18. Just starting to get entries, but lots of the exhibitors at this past one will be coming to mine.