Canadian border to open for export to US in march, 2005

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
I saw in a news release today that the the US will open up its borders on March 7 2005 to import cattle from canada once again, with regulations and restrictions on age of 30 months maxium age .What do the board members think it will do to our cattle prices here in the US.please reply

The border has been open to boxed beef from Canada for quite some time. I think the biggest effect in the market will be the stock of Packers with Canadian packing houses stock should go down. They have been making out like a thief buying Canadian fats and processing them there on 80 Cent dollars then selling them here to a market that is a little hungry for beef. I see very little if any effect to the fat market . The fact that the killer cows cannot enter the U. S. will still make for a short market in relation to the pre BSE market of last year. Not a well thought out reply just rambling. I am sure someone can come up with the numbers and market projections. I hope this will help our Canadian friends realize market value for their product and the packers can go back to a reasonable profit.

The daily markets aren't driven by facts but the monthly markets if you will are. The news will have a negative short term affect. Long term neutral.

Hope you are right on this one Ollie, but a six pack of your favorite beverage says you are gonna be sucking hind tit on this one. Happy New Year.

Just received this announcement
"Just received this news about another Canadian cow. Note: they still need to complete the IHC test before final confirmation. The bright spot is that the positive cow was 10 years old and from Alberta. This will probably receive considerable press coverage due to the recent USDA announcement regarding opening the Canadian border to live cattle. "

houstoncutter":y9ul0k6l said:
Hope you are right on this one Ollie, but a six pack of your favorite beverage says you are gonna be sucking hind tit on this one. Happy New Year.
:D IBC root beet if you don't mind. PM me in April and I'll give you the shipping address.

If I remember correctly several large packing plants in the north have closed down due to lack of supply which helped keep prices at present instead of continuing to clime. Opening the boarder should reopen those plants with Canadian cattle and should help absorb some of the Canadian influx of cattle. Just a random thought.

Well I am canadian so of course this is great news. But Ill never forget how our government let us down. Not only was there no effort to vary our export markets so that we dont go through this again in the future, the influx of cattle from the US surpassed the allowed number during this terrible period..End rant :cboy:

Latest posts