A first for us caution graphic photo

Help Support CattleToday:

If he gets urine on the skin you face the possibility of urine scald. Being a show steer I would put petroleum jelly on the skin below it to try to prevent that.
That is a great idea and not something I had even thought about. Thanks I will tell Jacob they are clipping him this evening so a good time to get it done.

Saw a few of those in 4H goats. Can't say for sure, but thought it was when they were fed the generic "all stock" feed. Thinking it was the molasses or copper. Basically if I remember correctly, it is more common when hay is reduced and majority of feed comes from concentrates/bags/feed mill. Good eye on catching it, would have the vet type something up and have it in the shoebox. Someone somewhere will question it.
I had thought of that and hopefully can pick something up along with health certificate. This was a first for us the calf has been managed same as every other calf he has fed out Hank (our vet) said like people some are more prone to stones than others in a feed lot situation. Jacob has already let the buyer know and he is fine with it thank goodness the show is Saturday the sooner he can get to processor the better for y peace of mind. Hank said he will see this about every five years so not very common, of course we don't have any feed lots in our part of the country either.

Good catch. That's a procedure that can be done home for those with a knack for such things. I know a cowboy or two that has done it, I wouldn't be surprised if @gcreekrch has it in his repertoire.
A few times, yes. Takes longer to find all the stuff than to do the job. Making water easy to get and the right mineral for the feed keeps most at bay.

Saw a few of those in 4H goats. Can't say for sure, but thought it was when they were fed the generic "all stock" feed. Thinking it was the molasses or copper. Basically if I remember correctly, it is more common when hay is reduced and majority of feed comes from concentrates/bags/feed mill. Good eye on catching it, would have the vet type something up and have it in the shoebox. Someone somewhere will question it.
I would have to read up again but it seem a 6 to 1 mix calcium to phos in mineral will reduce or negate odds.

Well they weighed the calf in for the show today official weight 1350. He looks pretty dang good had healed up really well. I'm sure the Surgery set him back some but Jacob had hoped for a finish weight of 1350 and that was his exact weight. They only have 10 or 11 calves in the show looking through them today I would say he has a shot he for sure is top 3 at least that would be my call but my opinion doesn't count for squat I'm not the judge lol. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they do well tomorrow. The heifer show was today she had grand champion Angus heifer so Ella was tickled. The overall champion was a Brama I'm not a fan of the breed but have to say that was one very well made female the reserve was a balancer and she was awesome so a tough show. The judge did a great job taking time to talk to each kid, man I enjoyed watching him work with the kids.

Update on the steer tonight was the awards banquet E won champion carcass with the steer so I guess it didn't set the calf back to bad. They award a 500.00 prize for top carcass so that sure helped offset the cost of the surgery. Needless to say GG was happy that she did so well and thankful it turned out well I really was afraid we were going to lose the calf.

Latest posts