Can you increase hp on a tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
I have a 95 Kubota M4700, can you do any modifications to bump up the hp a little bit? Airfilter, exhaust, etc.....? After looking at a few of ya'lls post, I decided I needed to add. Without costing a fortune.

You might could add a hair dryer to it if it don,t have one already.

While I am not a mechanic - I suspect that a moderate amount of HP could be added by altering exhaust - just like on a pickup: however, with all the sensors and things, it's a job probably best left to the pros.
Flaboy needs to speak up on this topic.

Cowpoke, I don't know much about the Kabota tractors so can you tell me what kind of injector pump is on it? If its mechanical, then there will be a way to boost fuel. Bear in mind that if its a rotary pump, you won't want to boost fuel much, if at all. Mechanical rotaries are notorious for shortened life span, unless the rotary pump is detuned for the tractor's horsepower.

As an aside, adding air or changing the exhaust does virtually nothing to increase power on a diesel, unless either the air or exhaust is restrictive and not allowing the cylinders to vacate the exhaust or allowing enough air to burn the existing fuel charge. I have yet to run into a tractor that had either condition.

DiamondSCattleCo":24zt9077 said:
Cowpoke, I don't know much about the Kabota tractors so can you tell me what kind of injector pump is on it? If its mechanical, then there will be a way to boost fuel. Bear in mind that if its a rotary pump, you won't want to boost fuel much, if at all. Mechanical rotaries are notorious for shortened life span, unless the rotary pump is detuned for the tractor's horsepower.

As an aside, adding air or changing the exhaust does virtually nothing to increase power on a diesel, unless either the air or exhaust is restrictive and not allowing the cylinders to vacate the exhaust or allowing enough air to burn the existing fuel charge. I have yet to run into a tractor that had either condition.
you can put or change the turbo charger on it.but adding a bigger turbo charger aka blower could also cause problems.so id be leary of changing or adding a blower to it.

bigbull338":1ug3amdb said:
you can put or change the turbo charger on it.but adding a bigger turbo charger aka blower could also cause problems.so id be leary of changing or adding a blower to it.

Again though, thats only if you currently have more fuel than can be burnt with the existing air charge. I had many customers put turbos on normally aspirated diesels, without turning the pump up, and they saw virtually no benefit.

Its all about balance, and chances are the fuel/air charge is pretty well balanced from factory.

Rod

CowpokeJ":2moecvhs said:
I have a 95 Kubota M4700, can you do any modifications to bump up the hp a little bit? Airfilter, exhaust, etc.....? After looking at a few of ya'lls post, I decided I needed to add. Without costing a fortune.

Best way to increase HP is trade up to a bigger kubota.
Maybe a M6800, or 8200.

hurleyjd":vgodtel5 said:
CowpokeJ":vgodtel5 said:

Maybe a M6800, or 8200.
Yeah, my next one is going to be bigger. I don't really have a lack of hp, just wandered about boosting it. You can boost your truck without a whole bunch of expense. My thing that I need is a heavier tractor to handle those bigger bales.

hurleyjd":1zaan3p4 said:
CowpokeJ":1zaan3p4 said:

Maybe a M6800, or 8200.
100% the best answer out there.

CowpokeJ":p59owir8 said:

More HP will do nothing for you.
You need power to the ground.

Weight+HP+Torque=Bigger Tractor

ironpeddler":37qni76l said:
hurleyjd":37qni76l said:
CowpokeJ":37qni76l said:

Maybe a M6800, or 8200.
100% the best answer out there.
Yessir, I guess I'm gonna have to give up cattle & start raising money trees. Caustic, you got ne cheep uns?

I was talking to one of the local commercial farmers. He took the muffler off his big 4x4 tractor (250 hp). He said that it saves him between 3 and 5 gallons per hour. I don't know if gave him more power but it saved him money.

Case IH":2r0p69gv said:
I also heard they have these new steering wheel covers that add at least 5-10 hp........ :idea:

Get outta town. Got a part number for me? Dads always looking for ways to eke a little more power out of his old 2470. He tried the valve stem extensions. They were good for 7 HP and 3 gal/hr but the environmentalists shut him down for decapitating too many gophers.

Rod

Latest posts