Can hormone induced lactation be done ethically and for multiple lactations

Help Support CattleToday:

CrossbredJersey21

Reaction score
I was reading about induced lactation in dairy cattle and from what I have read it seems to not be bad for the dairy cattle but I could not find any data on if it was viable for multiple lactations. A dairy farmer had told me he has seen it used on show cattle that could not get pregnant but he could not answer my other questions because he didn't know. I am not asking if it is cost effective I am just curious if it could be done for multiple lactations and if in a way that is not overly unhealthy for the animals.

It is physiologically possible to do it for multiple lactations without harm to the animal. They won't milk as well as a natural lactation. The hormone used to induce lactation is prohibited for use in food producing animals, so you'd need to find a shady character with access to the drugs to make it happen.

It is physiologically possible to do it for multiple lactations without harm to the animal. They won't milk as well as a natural lactation. The hormone used to induce lactation is prohibited for use in food producing animals, so you'd need to find a shady character with access to the drugs to make it happen.
From what I have heard the treatment is legal but the product can not be used in commercially sold food, I could milk an angus for self consumption seeing as there would be no calf.

From what I have heard the treatment is legal but the product can not be used in commercially sold food, I could milk an angus for self consumption seeing as there would be no calf.
You are mistaken. It is prohibited for use in food producing animals, which includes all cattle by USDA definition. The USDA does not care if the animal is a pet or only for your personal consumption.

Latest posts