can cows have seizures?

Help Support CattleToday:

wiggles

Reaction score
I have an older cow how has been just laying around a lot last couple of days. Does get up to eat but otherwise not too active. This afternoon when I was feeding noted her to stretch full out and legs stiffened up and then she begain to have seizure like activity in both back legs. Lqasted about 2 minutes then she returned to normal. IS this a vitamin deficeny as they are not on grass could not get pasture this year so they are getting big bale hay everyother day and then cubes on the other day. I would really like to hear some ideas as I am leaving on the 4th to see my son home from deployment in the gulf and would like to get a handle on it and not leave it for someone else.
Thanks for all the help in advance.
Dianea

wiggles":eirwntvp said:
I have an older cow how has been just laying around a lot last couple of days. Does get up to eat but otherwise not too active. This afternoon when I was feeding noted her to stretch full out and legs stiffened up and then she begain to have seizure like activity in both back legs. Lqasted about 2 minutes then she returned to normal. IS this a vitamin deficeny as they are not on grass could not get pasture this year so they are getting big bale hay everyother day and then cubes on the other day. I would really like to hear some ideas as I am leaving on the 4th to see my son home from deployment in the gulf and would like to get a handle on it and not leave it for someone else.
Thanks for all the help in advance.
Dianea

Have you mentioned this to a veterinarian?

Bez?

Could be nothing, but Bez has the right idea. Try describing it to a vet or someone experienced that can also look at her for you.

Tell your son thanks, and thank you for your sacrifices, too. :D

Just noticed the activity this afternoon. Am planning to call vet first thing in the morning. Did call another rancher who raises semintals also and his advice was like your call vet. I was hoping to avoid vet call but now know it is more than I can handle as she ahs lost some weight and tonight during one of her seizures she tried to take me and she had been shown before and usually very tame. By her trying to take me I know something is not right in frannie ville.
I will keep watching to see what everyone ha to say as I have gotten some really good information off of this form before.
Thanks

Hippie rancher may be on to it. Closest thing I can find in my book on animal health is "Botulism" caused by being protein & phosphorus deficent. They get it by eating decaying or decomposing material and old bones. Removal of plant and animal remains is recommended, especially during times of poor nutrition under dry pasture conditions. Takes 3 to 7 days to incubate, but is rapidly fatal once signs are seen. Duz not say anything about seizures, but it usually starts in back legs. I would have vet out quickly and have him draw some blood to see if it's nitrate poisoning too. Nitrate poisoning effects oxygen to brain. Act like their going crazy and will attack you. Blood will look like chocolate syrup. Treated with Methylene Blue, given IV as soon as possible. Anyway, a couple of ideas. But I would get a vet right away.

Talked with a new vet today. ? Rabies? Going to give Antibiotic tonight and isolate. Was concerned the most with cahnge in behavior.

wiggles":3l73i4o6 said:
Talked with a new vet today. ? Rabies? Going to give Antibiotic tonight and isolate. Was concerned the most with cahnge in behavior.
"Rabies".. In cattle the disease takes on the nature of the "furious rabies" form, which is an excitative phase. Cattle become irrational and aggressively vicious. They appear very alert or anxious, and have dilated pupils. A slight noise or any movement invites attack and the instinctive desire to charge. Cattle rarely live beyond 10 days after the initial signs appear... If it was my cow I would'nt be just talking to a vet, I'd have one out. Now nitrate poisoning has the same excitative phase, but if not treated right now, she'll probably be dead by tomorrow.

Well as of this time she is still alove and has not had anymore seizures that anyone has seen. As I just arrived back home yesterday have not been relaly able to observe myself. The reason the vet did not come out is that I have no real place to catch and hold cow. No headgate, squeeze shut and it would of been her and I trying to take this 2000 pound cow on to draw blood. Yes I am aware I need better facilities but have only live at this place 1.5years and have to start from ground up. Money talks. Wll keep you posted.

Thanks for the update!

Not trying to be mean, but this is a prime example of why people new to the cow business should have facilities for handling cattle in place BEFORE they ever get even one cow.

I sure hope she doesn't have rabies :(

Latest posts