Can a rubber boot be fixed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
My rubber boot has a hole in it up on top of the heal. Can I fix it with something? People keep telling me to just go and buy a new pair but I don't want to be wasteful.

Gate Opener":6p525tsi said:
My rubber boot has a hole in it up on top of the heal. Can I fix it with something? People keep telling me to just go and buy a new pair but I don't want to be wasteful.

Try to repair it with a tire tube patch. Just like you would on the tube.

Gate Opener":1qxaxg29 said:
Good idea Wewild! I'll try that.

I hope it works. Don't forget the fire.

I am a wee bit frugal too.

I've repaired many a rubber boot with patch kits. For good measure I'l sometimes apply a small dab of silicone. Patch kits have worked well for me.

Katherine

Ya'll will have to excuse me sometimes, I can be as dumb as dirt! Where do you put the silicone, under the patch or around the outside of it? Katherine, do you use fire, if so where?

Gate Opener":qj9xqmti said:

I think it is a best practice to set the bonding agent on fire after you apply ... let the fire heat the applicant briefly.... and then blow it out before you apply the patch.

Good luck.

Wewild":2zuhyx7s said:
Gate Opener":2zuhyx7s said:

I think it is a best practice to set the bonding agent on fire after you apply ... let the fire heat the applicant briefly.... and then blow it out before you apply the patch.

Good luck.

Wow, I bet that will stick. Thanks Wewild.

There is a product called Shoe Goo that workd pretty good. It is fast and easy. But if you wear the boots a lot you are probably better off getting a new pair or figuring on patching fairly regularly.
Dave

Have a pair with the tube patch repair...been holding for five years now. Will give them another test this spring when all this snow melts....Dmc

Gate Opener":2kbl7w08 said:

Tell us where to mail the 15 dollar check so you can get a new pair.

Yes you can fix them with Lexal but it's 6 dollars a tube.

Caustic Burno":3byjya7v said:
Gate Opener":3byjya7v said:

Tell us where to mail the 15 dollar check so you can get a new pair.

Yes you can fix them with Lexal but it's 6 dollars a tube.

$15 ??? Mine were only $9.49 and that's for size 11.

Rubber boots for $15? You people don't spend enough time in rubber boots. I pay $75, but then I live in them 7 months out of the year. They start leaking I pitch the leaky one and keep the good one for a spare. I now have 3 spare left boots. Why does the right boot always start leaking first?
Dave

Gate Opener":mkugg4le said:
Ya'll will have to excuse me sometimes, I can be as dumb as dirt! Where do you put the silicone, under the patch or around the outside of it? Katherine, do you use fire, if so where?

Sorry for replying so late. The silicone I smear over and around the outside of the patch. I haven't used fire, but that would work pretty well (what Wewild described).

Katherine

Mine is on the left foot. My brother told me that I needed to put a rolled up newspaper in them when not in use so they don't fold over. I didn't mind him so now I have a hole in the boot.

Shoot with $15 I could buy a couple bags of cubes and have money left over. Maybe have enough for some of that duct tape. :D

Size 11. I'm not too far off from there. The old man that I am friends with told me that I would have been a lot taller if so much of me hadn't turned under.

Gate Opener":1u1sxfdu said:
Mine is on the left foot. My brother told me that I needed to put a rolled up newspaper in them when not in use so they don't fold over. I didn't mind him so now I have a hole in the boot.

Shoot with $15 I could buy a couple bags of cubes and have money left over. Maybe have enough for some of that duct tape. :D

Size 11. I'm not too far off from there. The old man that I am friends with told me that I would have been a lot taller if so much of me hadn't turned under.

Latest posts