Camp Cooley Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Wow! What a sale for the ranch. The one gentlemen, aka very rich oil guy, ran the price up too high for us to buy anything. Everything we were interested in sold for more than $5000. Maybe he will have a production sale and we will be able to afford something from his ranch.

Why did the red brangus sale for so much?

sounds like some1 was there that knew wich cows he wanted.an was willing to pay what it took to get them bought.

I was wondering who was buying the cattle so aggressively. It basically made the entire sale very very expensive. I still do not understand how the pricing got so high especially with the cloud hanging over the sale with an infection quarantine being just lifted. I guess with that person buying all the good cattle, the remaining buyers were trying to pick up a few head to make the trip worth while. You know when you can go to the sale barn and pick up a cow for a 1/4 the price, it make it hard to pay those prices. I know camp Cooley has got to be very please! Congratulations to them!

ffa, that guy was a big exec. from TXO energy. Apparently didn't have a clue about cattle. When given the chance to buy choice from a group he took them all and said "I don't know one from the other". Understand he spend well over half a million dollars at the Angus sale alone. Probably just needed a tax write-off. :lol:

A few sold for 1500...very few. The majority were above $3000 up to $11,000 on the second day of the sale.

TexasBred":1fi6nhtp said:
MikeC":1fi6nhtp said:
The Brangus averaged $4,600.00 per lot.

Wow, really?? I didn't get to go. Mike do you know what prices the young open heifers brought.

No, I briefly got to talk with a Cooley employee this morning.

But if every Brangus lot avg'ed $4600 I'd say they sold well though.

No kidding...well that should pay a few bills. Just heard that 2500 lots sold for $7,800,000. No fire sale to say the least.

Total sale of 2500 lots brought near $7.8 million. Didn't get to go so don't know about the the Char. Apparently did not sale as the sell originally was to be for 2900 head. The oil guy from XTO Energy supposedly spend about $1.5 million.

Dont be surprised if they caught a bunch of them. About two days before the sale I recieved an email (as a texas angus breeder) in which Mr. Birkel stated that "rumors were flying around" that they were getting out of the cattle business. I wonder why - he so much as stated they were a month or two ago. Anyhow he wanted to re-assure his fellow breeders that Camp Coley is "not" getting out of the cattle business. I'm confused, we'll just have to hide behind the door and watch future developements. I guess anybody can have a dispersal then get back in later.

Avalon":16wo5pja said:
Dont be surprised if they caught a bunch of them. About two days before the sale I recieved an email (as a texas angus breeder) in which Mr. Birkel stated that "rumors were flying around" that they were getting out of the cattle business. I wonder why - he so much as stated they were a month or two ago. Anyhow he wanted to re-assure his fellow breeders that Camp Coley is "not" getting out of the cattle business. I'm confused, we'll just have to hide behind the door and watch future developements. I guess anybody can have a dispersal then get back in later.

Mr. Berkel has said from the beginning that they were NOT getting out of the purebred business and that he hoped the cooperators would stay with him. He's said they have embryos that they will start over with. The only question in my mind is whether they'll come back with all three breeds.

most big ranches sell out.but then go back in the reg biz the next day.i had a few friends that would sell their cows out.an the next day they would be milking again.selling out is all about the money they can make.

Frankie":zmvsk8po said:
Avalon":zmvsk8po said:

Mr. Berkel has said from the beginning that they were NOT getting out of the purebred business and that he hoped the cooperators would stay with him. He's said they have embryos that they will start over with. The only question in my mind is whether they'll come back with all three breeds.

Just check the CCR website and apparently the Chars sold as well. Here are sale results:

Camp Cooley Ranch hosts an extremely successful Charolais Dispersal Sale

Franklin, TX - An impressive crowd gathered in east-central Texas last Thursday to witness the dispersal of one of the most tightly guarded Charolais herds in Texas. 503 Charolais lots were offered for sale, including proven donors who had sent embryos all over the world, proven herd-sires, and the leading genetics offered by the calves on the side of both young and mature cows.

171 Spring Pairs averaged $2,766
28 Spring Exposed Cows averaged $1,778.57
62 Fall Bred Heifer Calf Pairs averaged $3,100
88 Fall Bred Cows averaged $2,298.30
90 Exposed Heifers averaged $1,548.89
64 Fall Heifer Calves averaged $1,298.44
3 Herd Sires averaged $3,916.67
The high selling female of the day was lot 800, Link Ms Erma Up 157 P ET, a LC-Ace Prime Up 9119PET daughter with a B/T Smart Choice M207 ET heifer calf at side who sold for $11,000. The second high selling female was lot 899, Ms CCR Imprsv 3472L6 PET, a JWK Impressive D040 ET daughter who sold for $9,000. Both of these lots were purchased by Kerry Reed of Seminole, OK.

The third high selling female was lot 635, Ms Cooley S D 1107M87 ET, a WCR Sir Duke 17J ET P daughter with a RC Charlie 0327 bull calf at side who sold for $8,750 to John Downs of Marianna, FL.

The high volume buyer of the day was Rafael Ortega of Laguna Ranch in Houston, TX, who purchased 72 head.

B/T Smart Choice M207 ET daughters averaged $2,098.25 on 57 head, CCR Jackpot 1410K5 PET daughters averaged $2,367.65 on 51 head, Cooley Wooden 1107N2 daughters averaged $2,220 on 10 head, and RC Charlie 0327 daughters averaged $1870.65 on 46 head.

Latest posts