Camp Cooley Dispersal

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeC

Reaction score
Dear Valued Friends and Loyal Customers:

It is with a sad heart that I am announcing the complete dispersal of our entire registered female herd of Brangus, Charolais and Angus cattle (excluding, of course, the females that had ever been in the adjacent pasture to the game preserve). This was not an easy decision for any of us. All of us at Camp Cooley Ranch have spent the last ten years building the finest and most consistent herds of registered Brangus, Charolais and Angus cattle in the world. We have dedicated ourselves to our customers and our philosophy of "Breeding the Best - Better".

The last three weeks have been a roller-coaster ride for all of us here at Camp Cooley Ranch. Because of the possible exposure to the exotic wildlife disease, from the wildebeest herd living in our game preserve to females in an adjacent pasture, a "hold order" was placed on the ranch and we were forced to cancel two spring female sales. Although the hold order has been lifted and we have returned to "business-as-usual", the loss of the revenues from these sales has forced us to reevaluate our business and our future.

We have no other choice. Although I am convinced that the cattle business has many opportunities in the very near future, to fulfill our obligations to you, our business partners, to our service providers, and also to our employees, this decision had to be made. This is a unique opportunity for you to benefit from our unfortunate event. The female dispersal sale will be held at the ranch, June 18th through June 21st. The bull dispersal sale will be held November 13th through 15th. Please contact us so that you can begin to make the selections that will make the genetic impact on your herd necessary for your future success.

With warm regards,

Klaus Birkel.

why did camp cooley decide to quit.because of the outbreak on their game preserve.did their backers call in all their notes.

bigbull338":31z436xb said:
why did camp cooley decide to quit.because of the outbreak on their game preserve.did their backers call in all their notes.

That was my question as well. If everything was going well, couldn't they have rescheduled their 2 productions sales and gone on about their business?

I know that this disease is not supposed to be transmitted from cow to cow but, it seems it would be a real risk for seedstock producers to buy these animals and bring them into their herds. I know I would be uncomfortable buying a bull from someone who added these animals to their herd.

Johnny

Sounds to me like uncertianty had caught them. A uncertain future for beef production along with cost. A uncertian future about the gaome reserve possibly causing infection within a costly pure bred herd. It is a hard to decide what is most prudent to do in todays market and many are getting out. Those who make their cattle pay their way will be hard pressed to make profit this year and possibly the next few years.

Why did the Canadian government not have a decent buffer zone around this game preserve or reserve or whatever you call it? Seems it could be a bit hasty if you ask me.Surely they haven't bred themselves into a corner with the likes of EPDs and breedplan etc. Any way most operations that get too big fold up one day. It is sad to see a company with their reputation go out. May be they could move to somewhere else?
:wave:

Australian Cattleman":12e37dbf said:
Why did the Canadian government not have a decent buffer zone around this game preserve or reserve or whatever you call it? Seems it could be a bit hasty if you ask me.Surely they haven't bred themselves into a corner with the likes of EPDs and breedplan etc. Any way most operations that get too big fold up one day. It is sad to see a company with their reputation go out. May be they could move to somewhere else?
:wave:

Canadian Government????

It is sad to see such a large operation go down from something like this. I just wonder if they are gone completely or will be back in a couple years.

personally i think they are gone.an wont be back in the cattle business.i dont think they will ever be able to over come something like that.

With the dispersal of several thousand high quality registered cattle they should be able to raise several million dollars. Have no idea what their finances look like but do know they contributed $250,000 to the angus association recently. Have no idea how many head of cattle were on the place as part of the cooperators program but but those folks can simply pull their cattle and take them home. There is no quarantine of anykind.

Am calling a friend shortly who lives about 6 miles fromt the ranch and has Angus cattle in the cooperator program. Maybe he can give us a few more specifics. I see it as a chance to get some more great cattle.

Camp Cooley operates joint cattle ventures in Mexico, Bolivia, Brazil and Argentina. ...

CC makes more money off of hunting and haying than the cattle business. This is a minor setback.

Question, do you think the cattle will sale for cheap? Meaning cheaper because of the reason behind the dispersal?I would love to get in on those genetics.

yes their cattle will prolly take a 30 to 50% hitt on their real value.if a cows worth $3000.she prolly bring $1500 to $2000.now thats my opion.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2dn5zycg said:
Their good name has gone to he!! and i do not think they can ever recover from it. They are done. Then again if they do raise lots and lots of money off the sale then they might be able to one day get back into the registered business. Who knows.

There are currently 3,500 mature cows on the ranch, half being registered animals and the other half ET recipients. Only the registered are to be sold so that leaves approximately 1750 recip cows with spring calves already at their side or due shortly. That along with all the embryos and semen in stock along with the bulls should be able to give them one heck of a jump start on recovery. May not have any "special sales" for two or three years but they will be back IF they want to.

The genetics are in high demand. People come from all over the world to their special sales. I bet they still "ring the bell" at the dispersal sale.

Wow.. that's a shocker to me as well. We've bought hay from them in the past. Quite an operation as most of you know.

I wonder if it isn't because their game operation has the potential to make more money with about half the expense. Also makes a person wonder if they are worried about the future of the cattle market. :roll: I can't count high enough to put a value on their ranch in Texas.

Are you registered breeders seeing more dispersals this year than usual?

TheBullLady":1b8e9bmy said:
Wow.. that's a shocker to me as well. We've bought hay from them in the past. Quite an operation as most of you know.

I wonder if it isn't because their game operation has the potential to make more money with about half the expense. Also makes a person wonder if they are worried about the future of the cattle market. :roll: I can't count high enough to put a value on their ranch in Texas.

Are you registered breeders seeing more dispersals this year than usual?

Good questions. High fence deer ranches and exotics are expensive operations. To purchase good bucks from other states or from other ranches might cost you as much as $25,000 and up. Those folks feed a lot of feed year round and also raise feed plots for the deer not to mention the upkeep on cabins or big fine facilities for the guest along with staff. Whitetail hunt is till the big drawing card. A lot of these are more tax write-offs than anything. Course that's about all a cattle operation is now as well. :cry2: As for the value of the ranch, that would be anybody's guess. Have seen some large tracts sell for a couple thousand dollars an acre but not as big as CCR. The mineral rights alone could be worth $20,000 an acre or more.

I see nothing in the letter on Campcooley.com that indicates they are shutting down for good. They still plan on having their "Customer Appreciation" sale next Spring and they have more genetics in recipients (which are not part of this dispersal) right now than nearly any other ranch out there.

There is more here than meets the eye. How does a cattle company that is looking ot cut costs, still operate a customer appreciation sale and bull sale. There is more and more unhappy customers and in this time in high prices, your cattle better preform if you pay that for them. The customer sale has turned into another sale for them. That is what made most people I know rethink buying there. you buy something from them and then re consign it only to be 300 lots deep in the sale. I have heard about them having a dispersal for months now. I think if you have a dispersal then come back in business with all new genetics, your essentially saying we give up on those and here are some new genetics. Having spent hundreads of thousands of dollars there, bought the high selling bull in the breed and lots of top notch donors from there, watch where and how much you spend if you plan to remarket. Part of the prob with the registered breed right now is the pissing contest between the different clicks. That is a real problem in our breed right now, can you market your cattle in other sales and have any support when you do. They are not the only breeder that will sell you something and forget about you. i tried to consign some cattle to 2 sales only to hear they were FULL 3 months in advance. I spent quite a bit with these other outfits as well. Make sure who you spend your money with will back up all they sell you.

I could not sleep at night bringing any of those cattle home and worry about them catching anything. The prices will be cheap but you have to worry where you are going to market those Brinks offspring. The outbreak might be minor and under control but to iffy for me. Why also would the sale be so soon after the arrival of this bad news. there is more to this than meets the eye but thats for another conversation.

I want to clarify that wasnt a pot shot at any of the people at Camp Cooley. I think there hands were tied and they had to cash flow an investment during a tough time to do that. I have heard Mr. Birkel speak many times. It was always about numbers not cattle. He is used to a different business model and that wont work. Most people that I have gotten to know there are no longer there. There are lots of upper level people that left. I think that they were forced to generate lots of money by breeding lots of cattle and they watered down there genetics. They produce way to many cattle not to produce any more top end bulls/donors than they do. I have commercial cattle that are out preforming some of my stuff from them. There bull power has suffered also. You cant increase your numbers you sell every year with out replacing customers. The registered end is a small world, you can sell lots of bulls to commercial buyers but not the mass volume of registered females they sold. they lost a lot of there regular customers to lack of cattle preformance and having to many irons in the fire. I cant tell you how many times I heard the right hand doesnt know what the left is doing there.

Its not the fault of anyone there other than the person pushing for results. That is his right as an owner/investor. But sometimes you need a different business model than the standard one of x % growth,Y percent more cattle and so forth. It became about quanity not quality over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts