Calving Season

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I just finished up calculating(I hope I did it right I suck at math) our calving season for our 2010 calf crop. We bred 87 head, sold one as a bred cow, had two lose calves at calving and two slip calves after we palpated. We have 82 calves on the ground based on exposure dates 63% of these calves came in the first 30 days of our calving season, 22% the second 30 days, 7% the third with 2% calving after 90 days.

In the 7% group six of the cows are over ten years old, one was a 2006 model having her 2nd calf.

in the 2% group both were 2006 models on their second calf. Without going into alot of detail, I will just say that we made some bad management decisions with these cows and carry alot if not all of the blame for them calving late.

What do you want as far as calving season, I have heard that some want less than 60 days. I just don't know if we will ever even make the 60 day mark, but it is a goal we are striving for. I hope I did the math right.
Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

There are two ways to get to sixty days-pull the bulls after 60 or the one alot of ranchers do-they brand 60-70 days after they start calving and any cow not wet gets shipped. Your pretty close to where you want to be already.

We are getting harder on the cow herd, but we are also still trying to build numbers. This has put us in a situation of having way to many old cows, and it is beginning to bite us in the butt. I think I need to have a used cow sale! I hate to sell an old cow that just does a good job year after year, but then again I need to start moving some of the older girls.

Gizmom

The problem now is that even a bit poorer calf or late one is bringing more than the best calves were a year or two ago. Imagine going through BSE-those old cows were pretty much worthless.

Alacowman,

No, they don't suggest selling at any certain age, at least not that I have ever seen or herd of. It is interesting to note that when calculating weaning ratios the age of the dam is factored in, additional pounds age given at age 2, 3, and 4 then a 0 is used for age of dam from 5 - 10 for 11 and older cows pounds are again given. http://www.albcia.com/documents/DataCollectionandInterpretationchapter7.pdf
What they are doing makes good sense, in that a two year old is still growing, so gets a higher % it drops each year, until year 5, when the cow is full grown and in her prime. Then after 10 they again add some pounds due to age.

Gizmom

Latest posts