Calving in the field or a pen

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I wonder what most consider the best place for a cow to deliver her calf. I just put one up in the holding area because she looks like she will deliver in the next couple of days. I debated with myself whether to just leave her with the herd or put her up. I would like to hear comments. thanks in advance.

Ours calve out in the pasture. It is better for the cow to be able to move around with the others rather than stay in one place. I have to say that we can see the cattle from our house. If they are in another pasture where we can't see them, we check daily. If one is in labor, we check her more frequently - but we leave the cow alone.

In my opinion if she can't handle her buisness in the pasture alone she's not worth having or you made a poor choice in sire selection. Yes there are wrecks from time to time, but shuffling cows around everytime one was springing is for the birds.

Out in the pasture. :nod: A pasture raised cow sees pasture as comfortable, not penned up with you glaring at her every ten minutes (I mean that in a broad way, not a personal comment on inyati13's cattle skills).
I honestly believe that if I tried to get my cattle to calve close at hand where I could watch them, I'd wind up with a bunch of cows that won't work in my country. I want one that sneaks off and does it by herself and then brings her calf in a few days later. If she's so quiet that she'll lay down and plop out a calf with me watching right up in the barn, what is she going to do when a bear comes along?

As everyone else has said, unless you expect problems, or she's a high-dollar show animal carrying a high-dollar calf, or a dairy cow, leave out with the herd. Just keep an eye from a distance as she gets closer. She'll be more at ease out where she's been than all of a sudden put up.

Just my 2 cents.

Katherine

cow pollinater":2tp397km said:
Out in the pasture. :nod: A pasture raised cow sees pasture as comfortable, not penned up with you glaring at her every ten minutes (I mean that in a broad way, not a personal comment on inyati13's cattle skills).
I honestly believe that if I tried to get my cattle to calve close at hand where I could watch them, I'd wind up with a bunch of cows that won't work in my country. I want one that sneaks off and does it by herself and then brings her calf in a few days later. If she's so quiet that she'll lay down and plop out a calf with me watching right up in the barn, what is she going to do when a bear comes along?
While it may work for you, however it doesn't work for me. Lost two calves to the wolves last May when the cows went wandering out in the woods. Found a cow that still guards a half eaten newborn calf and the wolves has chased the herd out of the pasture that day..took a whole day to herding the cows back in the pasture. Of course I always keep them in a smaller pasture during calving season ....stay away from the woods

Thanks to everyone. I thought this was the response I would get. She should do fine in the pasture here. You just worry when you cannot see what is going on.

Mine seem to do better calving on pasture. I think the environment is much cleaner. I have never had any navel infections from a calf born in the pasture. In an enclosed pen there is so much mud, manure and urine that the germ level is higher.

Hoss, that is the best reason in my opinion. I turned her out two days ago. I have noticed that calves born in pens tend to get more infections. If I had a perfect enclosure, I might go with keeping them up but as you said, the conditions are hard to control and soon get nasty.

I'll echo the out in the pasture comments. We have nice open country at our place and I still may not check cows for 2-4 days during calving season. I don't have time, and barring the odd "goofy" occurrence I can't justify spending the time doing something the cows should do themselves. Also much cleaner out in the field then in the yard or the barn. We have intermittent coyote problems around here, and the odd cougar, but we don't seem to have any predator issues. Half of our cows will respond to a calf bawling that isn't their own.... I've seen them team up to take out dogs when we're penning. I expect they would do the same if a predator was coming round.

She had it in a selcluded spot in the pasture. All looks fine. I noticed the other cows stay fairly close except when they go to water. I have not seen the mother leave the calf yet. I have 3 more falls calves to go.

Latest posts