Calving Ease Shorthorn Bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

baxter78":2kqhenl4 said:
Aint no such thing. They all have 85 and higher birthweights.

:lol2: :lol2:

Go back to your jackrabbit calves. Shorthorns are extremely easy calving, even with higher birthweights. Birthweight is not the soul indicator of calving ease. Actually its FAR less important than phenotype.

Cowgirl, I'm not sure where you're at or what your heifer looks like, but 'turning grass into beef' on this forum has semen for sale on some very nice, easy calving Shorthorn bulls. http://saskvalleyshorthorns.com/ is their website. I'm not sure if they've export certified any of their semen, but he may be able to guide you onto someone in the US who has some good stock.

Coyote (I think thats his name) is another PB Shorthorn breeder on here that may be able to help you. Drop them PMs. I've never used any of Coyote's bulls, but myself and members of my family have used Saskvalley bulls several times throughout the years and never had a hard calving bull yet. I've also used an Able Seaman grandson who was very easy calving, although I had some very heavy birthweights out of him. Probably not the best for a heifer.

Rod

I see you are in Nebraska get a hold of Mary Bell Cooksley at Broken Bow,308-872-2617 Haumont Shorthorns.They have been linebreeding problem free Shorthorns for 90 yrs.

line breeding a problem free herd is a task I would say would take at least 90 years, if not more!! :lol2:

I don't know anyone in Neb. to recommend but Sneed Farms in Sedalia MO and Meadow Lane Farms in Mayview MO are two breeders my way that I would recommend.

Latest posts