Calving ease

Help Support CattleToday:

Nor the environment, energy intake and there was even a research study correlating colder weather during gestation to increased
birth weights by increasing blood flow to internal organs.
And then there's the lineage:

Because you wouldn't select for maternal traits when your goal is terminal production.
And yet, many like to criticize "carcass" bulls because they aren't maternal ;)

(sorry, I know SOB you weren't talking about that -- it's just one of my pet peeves because it seems to happen often. Don't like GAR for maternal reasons -- then don't use them for siring your herd cows! Simple. haha).

That would be Johnson, in my earlier post.

The bull I have now is +17 CED, -1.9 BW and has +13 CEM. I have having a run lf heifer calves this year and need a few more cows so I am thinking about keeping some of the earliest heifers born this season. I don't have any history with bull (or cows fornthat matter) so everything is to be determined of course…

The bull I have now is +17 CED, -1.9 BW and has +13 CEM. I have having a run lf heifer calves this year and need a few more cows so I am thinking about keeping some of the earliest heifers born this season. I don't have any history with bull (or cows fornthat matter) so everything is to be determined of course…
See how they grow. Disposition (in my world) is huge. Have them pelvic measured before making a final decision. I would also base my decision on how well you like the dam. Any udder issues? Maintaining condition? Docility? While we all like a pretty cow, I don't base my decision on looks; I have a couple butt uglies that are phenomenal mamas and raise surprisingly pretty calves.

My idea on low birth weight revolves around unassisted births . No local vet will make farm calls anymore. I don't want tiny but I want a calf that a heifer can have . I use a higher birth weight bull on my cows but I still don't want a 100 lb calf . After a live calf hits the ground I think it falls on me to provide ample and quality forage for momma . If I have ample grass I don't creep feed my calves but if drought or some other factor affects my forage I'll creep feed based on cost vs profit . Don't think I'm any different than most everyone on this forum.

I want cows designed to deliver 120 pound calves. I'd rather have them than a calving ease or low birthweight bull.
Give me cows with the hips to birth whatever they are bred to. I might use a calving ease bull for heifers... but once they have a live calf on the ground they need to be easy keepers in ALL possible ways... and that includes their next calf.

Don't you need a pretty big cow to consistently deliver 120 lb. calves (without assistance)? Does it pencil out, spending more money to feed them?
A cow that is "capable" of delivering 120 pounds of calf... not that I would be breeding them to have big calves. 90 pounds is the average I would be targeting. But I want capable cows, not cows that I have to be afraid if a calf is five pounds above average. This is why I like cows with a track record when breeding for replacements. Ten year old or better cows with a history of unassisted births.

I think the thing about cow size matters, but not as much as most other things we can select for. A 1200 pound cow that raises a 500 pound calf isn't as thrifty as a 1400 pound cow that raises a 600 pounder, IMO. Any cow that raises a 600 pound calf that looks just like every other cow in the herd is what I'm looking for regardless of what she weighs. It's the product she produces that's important.

Any cow that raises a 600 pound calf that looks just like every other cow in the herd is what I'm looking for regardless of what she weighs. It's the product she produces that's important.
Edited for clarity...

Any cow that raises a 600 pound calf that looks just like every other CALF in the herd is what I'm looking for regardless of what the cow weighs. It's the product she produces that's important.

Around here the most terminal trait a calf could have would be to be born black.
Everyone has their version of terminal and maternal. One operation's terminal is another's maternal. There are good examples of success regardless of the governing philosophy.

Many people might say that the most desirable cow is the one that makes the most profit. Putting limits around weight and birthweights may be an attempt to forecast that profit, but sometimes bias might creep in over time. Or maybe a result of experience on what makes money. Too many variables (enviroment and others) to look at just BW or cow size alone. But profit might be the one thing most likely to stand on its own.

Environment plays a huge factor in birthweight. I have found that the calves born fall time in California are about 15 pounds lighter than their siblings born than their spring born Canadian siblings. For me, I have a larger problem with calves being born too light rather than too heavy. I do think short gestation is a problem.
I find it interesting that only the US places an emphasis on birthweight.