calves crawling through fence

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i just seen a post that reminds me of what im dealing with.calves crawling through the fences.ive got 3 calves from 4 months to 3 weeks.an they look at a bobwire or HT fence an crawl through it.an then look at at you an grin.an say see i can crawl though any fence whenever i want.the 3wk old heifer calf throws her tail over her back an walks off.like see i can do whatever i want.

I had a small one go through and wondered how she did it until I saw her go back through. She went through such a small area I was amazed and wouldn't have believed it unless I had seen it.

We had two that did that...it seemed like it had almost become a game to them, the brats. All of this rain and beautiful grass and the fact that they've gotten lots bigger has stopped that, but there for awhile even Houdini had nothing on them.

Alice

Victoria":2505m70q said:
The ones I love are the ones that go out and then run back and forth along the fence because they can't remember how they got out. :roll:

Is that a hoot or what... :lol:

Alice

Alice":160ga0li said:
Victoria":160ga0li said:
The ones I love are the ones that go out and then run back and forth along the fence because they can't remember how they got out. :roll:

Alice
yes its a big hoot esp if your behind them trying to get emm back in.an ive got a 300lb heifer that wiggles her way through an under fences.the calves are to funny.

bigbull338":2x1s9eqe said:
Alice":2x1s9eqe said:
Victoria":2x1s9eqe said:

Alice
yes its a big hoot esp if your behind them trying to get emm back in.an ive got a 300lb heifer that wiggles her way through an under fences.the calves are to funny.

Unless you are behind them in a skirt and heels on the way to church. Then the humour gets lost fast. :lol:

I had a bull calf out and when I was driving to it I didn't see and fence tore up. I started pushing it with the truck and it walked back across the cattle guard,,, making sure to bend down under the gate. :x

I took him to the packer for hamburger. I wanted to personally make sure that gene did not go into any other cattle. :shock:

Speaking of cattle guards. Had one this year that got her head stuck in the cattle guard. That was entertaining to get her out. She's not on the replacement heifer list! :lol:

Victoria":2zjlh132 said:
Speaking of cattle guards. Had one this year that got her head stuck in the cattle guard. That was entertaining to get her out. She's not on the replacement heifer list! :lol:
talking about cattle guards.my uncle had a here ford cow that kept getting out.an he could not figure out how she was getting out.one day he caught her walking accross the guard gingerly.

john250":ipoqkl79 said:
One word--electricity.
im in the process of getting ready to put up a hotwire.but i seriously doubt if itll stop a calf that really wants out.ive had an seen both calves an cows walk through a hotwire with it popping the devil out of them.

You might be surprised. I have some of the ones that plug into an outlet and my cattle are traumatized. The won't any where near a wire... hot or not.

I ran into it with a mower once and it went through my body and out my finger. It arked to the mower. I had what looked like a bee sting on my finger where it went out. :shock:

Brute 23":15u2kzvb said:
You might be surprised. I have some of the ones that plug into an outlet and my cattle are traumatized. The won't any where near a wire... hot or not.

I ran into it with a mower once and it went through my body and out my finger. It arked to the mower. I had what looked like a bee sting on my finger where it went out. :shock:
ive used electric chargers for years.both the intermitten an continious shock.an if they want to go though it they will.ive grabbed aholt of both fences with the chargers on.an they would light me up pretty good.arching an sparking out of my elbows.

We had a problem with our cows getting out almost every night for a week earlier this summer. Just so happened one afternoon went to check them and I saw the calves in the other pasture. They had gone between two strands of electric wire and when the cows saw they were over there they wanted to be over there too and that's how they were getting out. The calves would get out and then the cows would go through, over, under, whatever they had to do to get to their calves. In my opinion there isn't a fence in the world that can hold in a cow that wants to get out. They always find a way. We've got a 30 mile Snapper juicing our fence and when I've had the unfortunate luck of brushing it, when the shock goes out of your foot into the ground, it hurts for a long time. I was pulling wet weeds aways from the hot wire once and it nailed me, it works great. Kind of funny to see the calves sniff it when they are first born. I would bet they can sense the electricity, but don't know what it is.

ArrowHBrand":2y0zzo2v said:
We had a problem with our cows getting out almost every night for a week earlier this summer. Just so happened one afternoon went to check them and I saw the calves in the other pasture. They had gone between two strands of electric wire and when the cows saw they were over there they wanted to be over there too and that's how they were getting out. The calves would get out and then the cows would go through, over, under, whatever they had to do to get to their calves. In my opinion there isn't a fence in the world that can hold in a cow that wants to get out. They always find a way. We've got a 30 mile Snapper juicing our fence and when I've had the unfortunate luck of brushing it, when the shock goes out of your foot into the ground, it hurts for a long time. I was pulling wet weeds aways from the hot wire once and it nailed me, it works great. Kind of funny to see the calves sniff it when they are first born. I would bet they can sense the electricity, but don't know what it is.
yes cows an calves can smell when a hotwire is working.an when they sense its off.they will give you the devil about going through the fence.

My grandpa one time had a 1100 lb. hereford bull get out. He was looking for him down in the river bottom one day on his horse and he found him standing in the creek. Well he roped him and drug him to a big cottonwood tree. (keep in mind this was a big stout horse.) He tied him to the tree by the rope around his neck, and while he was buckin around he tossed a heel shot on him. he pulled that tight and tied him to the tree. he went back to the house and got his old 55 chevy and trailer and went back and got him. At first when my dad told me this i called B.S. but then when my grandma told me the same story i believed it.

bigbull338":2115i89y said:
yes cows an calves can smell when a hotwire is working.an when they sense its off.they will give you the devil about going through the fence.

Maybe yours can tell when it's off, but ours don't seem to be that smart. They avoid it, off or on. When we open a gate, we have to pull the wire back away from the gate, otherwise some of them won't even step over the wire.

We have a heifer that managed to get through a two wire electric plus a barbed wire plus a single wire electric fence to get into the neighbor's pasture but was scared to death to come back across when we let the fences down. Our calves this year have crawled through our electric fences like they weren't there. We sent them to the sale early.

Latest posts