Calves born dead?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm doing that. Any suggestions on my last post about my bull?
grannysoo":3a8ff0rn said:
Caustic Burno":3a8ff0rn said:
This can be a real storm, your cows are fast becoming a welfare herd as they are not returning to the operation.
You have a management problem in your herd, need to post a calf at the Vet's or college like TAMU.
There is a pile of things to cause these issue's from feed to diesease, you need help that is not obtainable from a chat board.

I would have been jumping up and down by the time the 2nd one had been "born dead". It's time to get some professional assistance.

Good call CB.

outdoorjohn":xdzokyea said:
Just an update here from the weekend and another question. I had several calves born this weekend and all were fine. I did talk to my vet and we plan on vaccinating starting this next weekend. He says I sould vaccinate one round asap and wait 6 weeks and do it again. He is assuming this is lepto but will vaccinate for several things.

Here is my question....Should I sell my bull immediatly? If so is it safe to bring in another Vaccinated bull into the herd right now? I don't want to not have a bull here in he beginning/middle of breeding season. The reason I ask this is because I was told the bull is a transporter of the disease. What do yall think?
Since you still don't know what you are dealing with there is no way to know for sure if you need to sell your bull and I don't think I would bring another bull in until you knew what you were dealing with and had it under control.

outdoorjohn":3dbfz4lx said:
Just an update here from the weekend and another question. I had several calves born this weekend and all were fine. I did talk to my vet and we plan on vaccinating starting this next weekend. He says I sould vaccinate one round asap and wait 6 weeks and do it again. He is assuming this is lepto but will vaccinate for several things.

I don't understand why he is "assuming" instead of drawing blood and testing for Lepto?

Here is my question....Should I sell my bull immediatly? If so is it safe to bring in another Vaccinated bull into the herd right now? I don't want to not have a bull here in he beginning/middle of breeding season. The reason I ask this is because I was told the bull is a transporter of the disease. What do yall think?

I would not sell anything, nor bring anything in until you KNOW what you're dealing with, and have it under control.

Well, I wondered about that comment as well but I was just going on what he said. I have a call in with the Vets at Mississippi State Vet school as well. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Thanks for responding.

msscamp":2x470ccf said:
outdoorjohn":2x470ccf said:

I don't understand why he is "assuming" instead of drawing blood and testing for Lepto?

I would not sell anything, nor bring anything in until you KNOW what you're dealing with, and have it under control.

If you do have another born dead, if possible save the calf AND the placenta/afterbirth for evaluation. The placenta can tell you a lot about whether or not you have an infectious process going on in your herd. The vet may also want to take blood samples from your herd depending on what he or she finds, but the calf and placenta are a good place to start.

TCFC

Latest posts